Question Connecting a camcorder to an Android tablet

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Cobbles, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Cobbles

Cobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am going to India soon. I have a website that I intend to update with videos and images as we travel. I have a brand new Lenovo tablet with a USB 3.0 input. I want to download from a 5 year old Panasonic cam to android to edit my webpages with a text editor. I am struggling to find details of cables, an image/video app to receive input from the cam or generally anything on the subject

2. dosdan

dosdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    5yo is a bit old for the tech in a camcorder. For video storage does it use a SD card, a HDD or DVDRAM? What model is it?

Dan.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  3. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,216
    I assume it's got an SD card? If so, if your tablet has an SD card slot, use this. If it's a micro slot on the tablet and full size on the camcorder, use an adapter.

I assume you have found some editing software which will work with the files the camcorder saves?

4. Terfyn

Terfyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +210
    Hopefully a SD based camcorder. Try connecting directly to your tablet with USB and treat the camcorder as an external disk drive. Look in the manual for a page titled "About the PC display" and follow the folder/file structure. For AVCHD video Go Private > AVCHD > BDMV > Stream for all your AVCHD video. I have the HC-V700 (bought 2011) and this works OK.
    Camcorders of that age probably will not have Wi-Fi.
    If you don't have a decent editor then have a look at nchsoftware Videopad Video editor.

For India I also advise you to look to your battery situation. If you camera is a HC-V model chances are that it will run on a 5V USB based supply. I suggest you invest in a USB power pack (Example AUKEY 20,000 mAh from Amazon) It will recharge from mains to USB or car 12v to USB and will happily run the camera for around 12 hours using the supplied DC cable. (spare cables from Panasonic accessories )

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  5. Cobbles

Cobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is a Panasonic hdc-sd40. I use it with my laptop all the time and I am familiar with the file structure, my quandary is how I get images/video into an accessible folder on the tablet. I am shocked that it is so difficult to open a directory on Android. It is so very app centred. I think I can sort out the correct leads.

As for charging, my supplied charger has worked in the US and Denmark and converts all voltage/mhz to that required by the camera as long as you have an "8" lead with the local plug.

Thanks for help guys, I will investigate further.