Connecting a ASUS HD7770 to a Samsung HDTV?

Discussion in 'Computer Peripherals & Consumables' started by Scampa, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Scampa

Scampa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Tried HDMI and Display port, however on screen resolution (control centre) it finds the TV but when I click on extend desktop or duplicate message always comes up with This display setting could not be saved please try a different combination of settings - any ideas?

OK one HDMI one Display Port and one VGA if I disconnect the VGA (monitor) the other monitor and the Samsung work OK if I plug back in the Samsung had the above problem, need a method to enable me to use 3 viewing devices?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,518
    The 7770 only support three monitors at once if at least one of them is connected using the DisplayPort protocol or an active adapter, passive/dual mode displayport outputs (cheap DisplayPort to DVI or HDMI adapters) won't work.

3. Scampa

Scampa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for the info have you got a link to what I need to get to make this work?

4. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,518
    That depends on what video inputs your screens have. If one of the monitors has a DisplayPort input (I'm guessing the TV won't) then a DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable for that, HDMI to HDMI for the TV and DVI to DVI or VGA for the third monitor should work.

5. Scampa

Scampa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    HI none have a display port however display port to HDMI seems to work fine and indeed HDMI - HDMI on the Samsung TV work but the third monitor (VGA) will work if I disable the samsung and vice versa

[​IMG]

Would this work a active adapter?
    Really puzzled with this as it all works but not at the same time

6. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,518
    I can't tell from a picture, if the description doesn't say it's an active adapter then I'd assume it's not.

You'd have to look up the details but from what I remember the Radeon chips have six DisplayPort outputs and two DisplayPort to something else converters. Why those converters can be shared between different outputs I'm not sure, it may be that the important aspect is something like a timing device that's common to everything except DisplayPort.

7. Scampa

Scampa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The DP2HDS Adapter converts DisplayPort to HDMI with audio pass-through support, enabling you to connect a desktop or laptop computer that is equipped with DisplayPort A/V output to an HDMI monitor, projector, or display. Unlike a passive adapter, the DP2HDS actively converts single mode and dual mode DisplayPort output, which is ideal for graphics cards that do not output dual mode/multi-mode (DP++) signals, such as ATI Eyefinity cards. The DP to HDMI adapter is compatible with Intel Thunderbolt, when connected directly to a supporting DisplayPort over Thunderbolt I/O port. Backed by a StarTech.com 2-year warranty and free lifetime technical support. Supports both Multimode (DP++) and Single-mode DisplayPort output signals, through active Mini DisplayPort conversion. Adapt from graphics cards that are not capable of outputting DP++ (multi-mode) signals. Keep an existing HDMI monitor to be used with a new DisplayPort computer or other video source. Ideal for using your HDMI monitor as a secondary display. Ideal for digital entertainment centres, home offices, business conference rooms and trade show displays.

8. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,518
    Sounds good.

9. Scampa

Scampa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I bought the above adapter, worked a treat many thanks for your help!!