Connecting a 2nd TV - IR control issue - help please

kenniff

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all
So
I have a Virgin Tivo box in a cupboard underneath my main TV and want to

a) control it with the cupboard shut; and
b)extend the signal so it can be viewed on another TV in a different room, with remote control functionality.
It looks like I can do "b)" quite easily with some "Neet®" kit:
- a HDMI splitter box,
- HDMI Extender,
- Neet® IR TX + RX Probes,
- 2 runs of cat 6 cable and the relevant hdmi leads at each end,

but can anyone advise how I can manage to do "(a)" at the same time? The IR probes take care of the IR issue at the remote TV but how do i sort the IR issue at the main TV?
Many thanks in advance to all replies.

The IR emitter associated with the Neet HDMI extender will be located in the cupboard so IR control via the other room would use the IR receiver connected to the Neet HDMI extender box in that room to convey the IR sigal along the Cat6 wire and then to your TiVo via the IR emitter in the cabinet.

The issue is that this doesn't give you the ability to control the TiVo from the main room via IR is the cabinet if closed and the IR extender capabilities of the Neet extender only cover IR from the second zone. You need an IR extender for the main room that will allow you to convey the IR signals from a remote into the cabinet. One wireless option would be the PowerMid:
Marmitek PowerMid XL infrared extender set: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

The above allows IR comands to be conveyed worelessly. I'd also suggest you partner the PowerMid with an IR extender cable to ensure the IR commands are emited close to the IR sensor on the TiVo:
Marmitek IR Eye universal IR extender cable: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Yet another option is that of the Logitech Ultimate remote. This universal remote is supplied with a base station that allows for wireless conveyance of IR commands. It also fascilitates control of devices via iOS and or Android devices:
Harmony Ultimate - Universal remote with Harmony Hub RF receiver

The Ultimae sells for about £160 so it isn't a cheap option, but does have a lot of advantages associated with it.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Yes, that would fit the bill.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom