Connecting 4 terminal speakers

Geff

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have a second hand Aiwa NSX-SZ50, received from a friend and is in excellent condition. It did not come with any speaker wiring and I have not come across speakers with four connection. Two are straight forward and are the usual left and right snap connections on the unit and connected to two connections on the speaker. The instructions for the remaining two connections on the speaker are "Connect the speaker cord with the plug to the SPEAKER HIGH FREQ R terminal" and then the same for the Left speaker. The High Freq terminal on the unit is a single Phono type from each speaker (Red for right and white for left)
Am I right in saying that the cable I need for these connection to the phono are
"Phono to tin ends"
Thanks

Likely this is something of an all-in-one or boombox audio system, and likely it has separate internal amps for the bass drivers and the high frequency drivers. And a spec sheet I found on the amp appears to confirm this. It has 20w/ch amps for the High, and 60w/ch amps for the lows.

Google-UK - Image Search - Aiwa NSX-SZ50

The speaker appear to be 3-way, but the large 160mm bass drivers are subwoofers. The medium sized 100mm are the true woofer, and the 20mm tweeter is obvious.

I've searched the Internet for a good photo that might help solve this problem but have not been successful. I think we could solve this if you could give us a good clear photo of the back of the amp and the back of the speakers.

Again, whether you need Phono-to-Phone or Phono-to-Tinned_Ends is unclear. But if you are there and have the amp and speakers in front of you, the solution should be obvious. We on the other hand, without clear photos, can only guess.

Steve/bluewizard

Thanks Steve for your comments and time. Here are the photos. The bottom two wires on the speaker are the usual two, plus and minus and appear to power the bottom base speaker. The top two, one black and the other blue, are the ones I am not sure about. Following your link to images it looks like these are connected to a RCA phono plug which, according to the instructions, plugs into the "Speakers High Freq" on the unit. If I use a phono plug are you able to tell me which of the two wires should be soldered to the centre pin of the plug.
Thanks
Aiwa Unit - a set on Flickr
Glynn

The Center pin is always the Hot or Plus pin. You can buy RCA connectors and solder the wires to them.

Most existing RCA-type wires are for low level signals, and as such are very thin wire. You want RCA speaker wire, which it thicker and not shielded. There are companies that make this type of wire, but the wire tends to be thin relative to normal speaker wire.

Example -

12ft RCA-Plug-to-Lugs Speaker Cable

12ft RCA-Plug-to-Lugs Speaker Cable | Miscellaneous | Fruugo United Kingdom

Both are 24ga wire which is very thin for speaker wire.

Here are some links to RCA Male Plugs -

RCA male plug connectors solder - Google Search

Steve/bluewizard

Thanks Steve for your helpful advice, I appreciate the links to suppliers
Seasons Greetings
Glynn

Any idea how I can determine which wire from the speaker is Hot ( one is blue, the other is black)
Also which is usually the hot wire, the lined or the solid colour.
Thanks

Sorry, just realised that blue replaced the positive red in electrical systems so I think it's safe to assume it's the hot wire.

Sorry, just realised that blue replaced the positive red in electrical systems so I think it's safe to assume it's the hot wire.

In electrical systems ie mains wiring, the red was replaced by brown, the black by blue and the green by green and yellow.

If you are ever in any doubt, just remember: if you touch the brown you are in the ****!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom