1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting 2 HDMI devices to one TV

Discussion in 'TVs' started by AndyX, Jul 10, 2005.

1. AndyX

AndyX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Did Jock get the right advice?

Jock Blogs walks into one of the TV super stores and says to the salesmen: “ I want one of they there HDTVs Iv’e bin told aboot. The salesmen points him to the part of the store with shiny bright HD ready logos “You will find what you are looking for there sir.

After looking at the TVs Jock asks about the new extra defined DVD boxes “do you just connect them on the scart connecter”. The well trained salesmen smiles and points to a little slot on the back of one of the TVs and tells him you connect your new digital scart here.”OK, says Jock. I have heard you can see the fitball like yer were almost standin’ there on the field”. “Ah” says the salesman, you are referring to the new High Definition service from Sky. Jock asks how you connect this to the TV. The salesman tells him you connect it to the TV the same way as the new DVD players. He does not mention there will be 2 incompatible standards HDDVD and Blue Ray in case he confuses and looses his enthusiastic customer.

The Scotsman peers under the TV and notices there is only one ‘digital scart’: “do ye ken how I connect the new Sky to the TV if I have my new DVD attached there. The salesman, having been reading the industry news letters in his tea break says “ahh, no problem: see those three little connecters there: that’s the component inputs: just plug in your Sky box in there. You have to get one of the first generation Sky boxes as later boxes use the digital scart which is also called the HDMI input which will give the best quality picture. This was a mistake as Jock retorted “I am not going to spend a fortune to receive a second best picture!”. “Well you could unplug one device and then plug in another” the salesman offered. “ I can just see the wife groping aboot under there every time she wanted to watch Richard & Judy when we have been cuddled up watching an all action movie the night before”.

The salesman starting to get a bit frustrated now and seeing a potential sale evaporating desperately tries to think of alternatives “I know that the Americans have switching boxes which even have remote controls. They cost a few hundred dollars now but I am sure they will come down in price. He then has a brain-wave “what you need is a TV with 2 HDMI inputs: He then hunts his TV database for a TV which will satisfy his customer with no avail. “I do remember reading that a new Toshiba is coming out in the autumn with 2 HDMI inputs. It has freeview too. I know you would like one today, and I would certainly like your business today. However I also want a satisfied customer who will keep coming back so if you give me your name and number I will contact you to let you know when this is in”.

All characters in this fictional situation are fictional. ;)

2. angelislington

angelislington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    There are already HDMI switches on the market. Google is your friend here. Also, Sky do state that they will allow HD content over Component for the first generation boxes but they also allude to the point that this is not likely to last.

Your fictional character appears to have done as well as he could, given the difficult circumstance ;)

3. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +713
    That's a perfectly credible scenario.
    I do wonder , however, how many of the general public will think to ask about the need to have more than one HDMI input.
    IMO most would not work out that they need it (until after their purchase).

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Fictional Characters are well and good but when it comes to real people especially salesstaff in multiples there is a big issue Training, it just doesnt happen........there are HDMI swicther available NOW, AV amps with multiple HDMI inputs out now (top end) and filtering down by the time anyone in Europe has 2 devices that require HDCP............. Such a Pity he wanted to buy a "telly" an integrated Entertainment system is far better...............................................

5. Petrushka

Petrushka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I am getting a Philips DFR9000 to do the HDMI switching for me. It can also upscale all kinds of signals to the HDMI connection so you really need only one single cable into your HDTV.

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    AndyX

Your fictional sales guy's 'thinking on his feet' replies are one option - if he wants more we have shelves full of HDMI and DVI with HDCP Digital switchers sitting just outside of Edinburgh; we'll even sell him cables to go with them and advice on how to make it all work :)

HDMI will start to appear in all sorts of kit - though stand alone switchers will have a big market as more and more source kit will go over to HDMI and even Two HDMI Inputs will soon enough not be enough!

Best regards

Joe

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    just make sure the scaling is up to the job otherwise you may have a very poor image over a very expensve (relative) cable

8. dsb

dsb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dvd players with rgb scart passthrough are plentiful - i imagine there will be HDMI hi def dvd players with HDMI loopthrough for just this situation.

9. Petrushka

Petrushka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Of course. Which is the reason why I safely can rely on the product from one of the most sophisticated chips manufacturers in the world... :thumbsup:

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I wouldnt trust a chip manufacturer that much!!!!!

11. AndyX

AndyX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    This might be a tricky solution if the device at one end of the daisy chain is trying to get a reply from the TV on a secure, copy protected connection, but might work if the route bypasses the interlinking device. I have not seen any articles on this option as yet.