1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting 2 camcorders - help

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by davematth41, May 29, 2005.

1. davematth41

davematth41

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just recently went out and picked up a Sony Handycam DRC-HC42 with a firewire output and an A/V input. I also have an old sony handycam camcorder which has just a normal A/V output. I used a connector to connect the A/V output from the old camcorder to teh A/V input of the new digital. (MY intention is obviously to load my old movies onto dvd) But when i made the connection, the digital camcorder did not read any video signal from the older one. My neighbor suggested connecting the old A/V to teh video-in of his DVD player and the digital to the video-out and but the dvd player on "Video-in" mode. This worked. I assume that his dvd player has some sort of a signal amplifyer or modulator which allows it work as the connector between the two cameras. My question is: do they sell anything that can do what the dvd player did without me having to go out and buy a new dvd player?

P.S. I live in america.
    --Paul :confused:

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,425
    I've just had a look at the specs of the HC42 and they state that the cam should be able to record to DV tape from an analogue input. So no additional hardware should be required!

Did you put the HC42 into VCR mode when trying to record the analogue cam footage?
    Are you sure the connection lead was correctly connected and working?

The only other thing I can suggest is that you connect the HC42 to a PC/Mac via firewire and capture directly to the computer HDD.

Mark.