1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

connected wrong?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Paulbmw, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Paulbmw

Paulbmw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i got a vsx-d814 connected to 3 front speakers.When i tried to play a dts cd i got stereo but no sound from the centre.The amp says it receiving dts(DTS led lights up)I know the 3 speakers wired correctly.I got a co-axial connection between dvd player and amp.I can play dts dvd,s.Could it be that i need to connect the 5.1 analogue(like DVD audio) to get centre output?Or is it maybe because the dts is on a cd,not dvd?

I using a hitachi dvp-335e player at moment cos my dvd-575 got broke.Im still trying to buy another BLACK dvd-575 but cant find any actually in stock.Does anyone know where i can get one today?

Any help with this would be grateful.Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    Could it be that the centre is intentionally silent - i.e. that the material is in stereo?

3. Paulbmw

Paulbmw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive scanned the whole cd but no centre at all :confused:

4. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check your connections in the back of the centre speaker - I had exactly the same problem yesterday with my new centre - no bass but treble was fine.
    In my case the jumpers that connect the high and low frequency posts on the back of the speakers didn't have good contact, i.e. the low frequency posts weren't connected!
    Time for me to get some banana plugs, I've just got the wire screwed to the posts at the moment and all three main speakers were dodgy connections at first.

5. Paulbmw

Paulbmw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Mango,we both in the same situation.I dont think i can even use banana plugs cos the holes in me terminals less than 4 mm.It wasnt the answer to me problem though.I found out a couple of hours ago that me idiot cat has been playing silly buggers behind the tele.Bless him...he thinks its string.He has managed to decimate most of me wires/connection.I gonna kill him,then i gonna kill him again :eek: :eek: :laugh: I think death by bass would be an apt way to do it(when ive sorted this mess out) :laugh:

6. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Cats, you gotta love 'em!

Bass now has disappeared from my front speakers so I need to seriously sort out the wiring situation.

Btw we can use bananas - you just have to knock out the small plastic bit from the middle of the posts. There's a couple more posts about it if you search for "yamaha" and "banana".

7. Paulbmw

Paulbmw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mango Bob.I must have thought a 100 times that it was possible to use nanas.I simply could not put "banging and my amp" in the same sentence :laugh: I got electricians tape round all my speaker posts to prevent crossing of stray wires.You should see the mess.Nanas would in this instance be best way for me.As for the cat....next time it gets its claws stuck whilst climbing the net curtain i gonna leave it there :D