connected using firewire - still bad grainy quality

O

Ojin

i have just bought a firwire card.

connected my hc18e sony handycam in

im usng ulead 11

when i capture video it looks really bad.. just like it did when i used usb.

i have tried this on windows movie maker aswell. the quality is still the same.

i selected DV AVI as the format and 1 min of video takes about 170mb.

is there anything i done wrong? why is the quality still not good?

i thought with firewire you get the exact same quality?

some one please help.
thanks

1) are you capturing using Ulead? or WMM.. ( or do you mean you have tried either with identical results?)

2) what does the original footage played via the camcorder look like?: Played via its LCD and to a TV display
3) How did you manage to use USB to transfer from miniDV tape?
( it is unusual) USB would normally be for stills or smaller sizes mpeg4 files in a MiniDV model ( apart from a handful of Panasonics)

1) are you capturing using Ulead? or WMM.. ( or do you mean you have tried either with identical results?)

2) what does the original footage played via the camcorder look like?: Played via its LCD and to a TV display
3) How did you manage to use USB to transfer from miniDV tape?
( it is unusual) USB would normally be for stills or smaller sizes mpeg4 files in a MiniDV model ( apart from a handful of Panasonics)

ive used both ulead and wmm... from both i get the same result which is not good quality.

when i connect my camcorder to the tv and play it the footage looks good. nice crisp video.

when i didnt have Firewire i tried to use usb to capture the video on my computer. this was also bad quality.

please help me get the best quality... i thought i did everything right.

is there something im missing?

When you say grainy, do you mean that the picture has blocks on it; little squares that move about? Does the picture the freeze up for a while and then start again?

When you say grainy, do you mean that the picture has blocks on it; little squares that move about? Does the picture the freeze up for a while and then start again?

the picture doesnt freeze up. it runs smoothly. its just not clear. u can see the little dots (if that helps).

my computer is pretty good... and can handle the tranfer. just dont know why its not clear.

When you say you connect to the PC, what software are you using to view the video on your PC?

Are you watching the capture in a preview window, or are you using a proper file viewer to watch the file that you have previously saved as a movie file?

Are you watching the capture in a preview window, or are you using a proper file viewer to watch the file that you have previously saved as a movie file?
i watched it in ulead and i also watched it in windows media player.

they both look the same. even though the file size is massive.

No.... copying DV over Firewire is a straight digital copy, so there is no change being made to the quality.

When editing, the quality you see in the preview is a function of the software, as it as to apply your edits in real time it isn't full quality (the result will be in the end, but not when you preview). But when playing the file with windows media player the quality should be full quality. Unless there are issues with your PC or display.

That's where I was headed, last night, but the wife wanted to watch a movie so I had to log off.

No.... copying DV over Firewire is a straight digital copy, so there is no change being made to the quality.

When editing, the quality you see in the preview is a function of the software, as it as to apply your edits in real time it isn't full quality (the result will be in the end, but not when you preview). But when playing the file with windows media player the quality should be full quality. Unless there are issues with your PC or display.

i recorded about 5 mins and then watched it on windows media player and also tried vlc. both didnt give a clear picture quality.

i think the display on my pc is fine as i can watch films on it using WMP.

any other ideas as to what might be the problem?

I take it that you are connecting the Camcorder to the PC via a Firewire cable from the Firewire port on your Camcorder to the Firewore port on your PC, if this is the case you should get full no loss video capture,

Are you still connecting the USB cable?

Check the capture software make sure it is set for DV IN

If some software (Drivers) came with the Camcorder, install it.

If all the above fail, then Try a different firewire cable

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom