1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connectable IR-Sensor ???

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by Nocko!, Aug 29, 2004.

1. Nocko!

Nocko!
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, I found this forum shortly after buying a used AV32R. I hope some of you can help me - just two questions:
    Is it possible to connect an IR-Sensor to the AV32R ? My Tag is placed quite "out of sight" of my remote control, so it would be great if there was a way to "route" the infrared signals to the amp. It seems, the amp's own IR-eye isn't really sensitiv and I don't own another Tag device to link.
    Second question: Is there a way to upgrade the device without the Tagtronic upgrade cable or is it possible to build this cable ? As a further explanation: I live in Germany (so sorry for my bad English...) and there is no Tag dealer to help me with these questions.
    Many thanks in advance...

2. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    It seems to me that you have two solutions:

a) If you are using another piece of TAG kit that is less out of sight (i.e. easily receives IR commands) then you can simply setup the AV32R and the other TAG kit (i.e. DVD32R, 100x5R, etc.) to transmit the remote codes over the TAGtrinic bus.

b) If you do not have another piece of TAG kit that is less out of sight then you can trasmits IR commands to the AV32R via an "IR extension kit" noting that the codes can be recived by the AV32R in either of two locations -- IR input jack on the back panel (this uses a mini plug), or the IR receiver on the from panel (this uses one of those "sticky pieces" -- how highly technical of me).

Although I know that you do not own another piece of TAG equipment I am simply trying to give you incentive to buy one!!!

A TAGtronic uograde cable is needed to upgrade the AV32R. Whether or not TMA has released the information necessary to build such a cable is something that I will leave others to answer as I simply do not know.

You can, of course, always order the cable from IAG.

Hope that helps.

Joel

3. Nocko!

Nocko!
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Joelc, thanks for the quick answer. I should have written that I've tried one of those "IR extension kids". It works with my other components, but not with my Tag. And unfortunately, my Tag has no external remote in / out connections on it's back. There is only the Tagtronics communication bus and I don't know, if this can be used as an external remote in. To be honest - I don't think so...

I have considered to order the upgrade cable from IAG, but it is quite expensive, if you keep in mind, that there probably (I do not hope so) won't be any more updates.

4. edward

edward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Nocko.
    It might be wiser to borrow an upgrade cable rather than buy one - at least until we know whether there will be enough upgrades coming down the line to justify the purchase.

Another way of looking at it... are the features that are included in the new software worth the money? I strongly suspect that you'll be deligted with the extra goodies and totally hooked on the AV32R.

This is the place to ask.

5. Teejoo

Teejoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Nocko,

- Where do you live in Germany? This could help locating Tag owners in the area who might have the Tagtronic cable.
    - What AV32R do you have?

6. Nocko!

Nocko!
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Edward, that's exactly the problem I have, concerning the upgrade cable: I don't know, what I will get for my money. From reading a Tag manual for an AV32R with v.3.70 I know that there are features like a status screen when pressing ok for more than three seconds and a few more ways to configure the Tag (for example the use of the internal relais). As Pronto user I also know that there are "discrete" infrared codes for the surround modes, so that I do not have to "cycle" through them, when I want to change from stereo to ProLogic. But these codes do not work with my Tag. I have searched for something like a list that contains the new features of every new software but found nothing. I am not sure, if the above mentioned features would be worth 200,- € / $ for the upgrade cable.
    By the way: Does the helpdesk also answers questions of owners who bought a used Tag on ebay ? :confused:

To Edward: Good idea, but I asked my dealer, who unfortunately is no Tag dealer for contact to other Tag owners. This was not successful. I live near Bielefeld, between Hannover an Dortmund. Quite rural with nearly no population, especially with homecinema interests :suicide:

I use a really old AV32R SP with Software V2.02 and S/N 101741. No extra features except MPEG2 decoding - perhaps I am not worthy to post here :blush:

7. Teejoo

Teejoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Come on Nocko, :clown:

Even if it is one of the early units you own, you still have a great processor!! :thumbsup: So stop thinking you don't belong here!

Of course will the Tag helpdesk help you with every question you have about your unit. The only thing that counts is that it is related to Tag. Give them a call, they dont bite :D.

I live too far away from you (near Aachen), so this is not an option.

Try some of the German forums, or contact the German distributor. Hartmut & co are very good and co-operative.

8. hep

hep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Teejoo! @Noko: I´m surprised, that a TAG McLaren dealer didn´t know the details! Could I get the name of this guy to improve his knowledge?
    Please send an e-mail to office@home-entertainment-perfect.de, I´m sure we`ll find a way to support you.
    BTW the retail price for the upgrade cable is € 169,-- incl. shipping within Austria and Germany.
    b/r
    Hartmut