Connect Xbox to Wireless net via Laptop???

tomandjo2

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, we've been trying to connect our Xbox to our wireless router via our laptop with no joy.

Using network cable supplied with xbox as per instructions using wizard on xbox.com.

Xbox syays connection "wired" (ok) firstly couldn't get an IP address so entered info in manually and IP addy ok then fails with DNS.

Gone thorugh newtork settings to allow internet connection but no joy.

Also can't get it to work sharing media with media palyer despite setting it to share.

If someone could help with IDIOT proof step by step guides it would be very much appreciated.

I think it must be a laptop setting as my firewall doesn't show anything trying to connect to internet (zonealarm)

Running Vista with a Belkin router on Virgin.

Thanks in advance

Tom

Apparently, you are better off using a wireless bridge approach rather than Internet Connection Sharing if you are using a wireless laptop as an ethernet bridge to your 360.

That's what I did and my connection is working fine.

You'll find a great guide to setting it up HERE.

It's a bit fiddly and it took me a while to get it all working but certainly do-able.

If you try it and have any questions/problems, post them here and I'll try to help.

Thank you Kerr, I'll try and give it a go this eve and report back.

Tom

Tried both bridge and ICS and no joy.

ICS worked better at least got IP ok on that one just couldn't get through DNS test.

Tom

After you set up the bridge, were you still able to connect to the internet on the laptop (using ie or firefox or whatever)?

This is from memory - when I get a chance I'll check for sure - but what I had to do I think was go into the settings of the bridge I created and set up a static IP, like I did with the laptop when I first started using it with a router.

If you are connecting to the ineternet, you may be able to skip that, however.

What you then need to do is check the laptop's settings for Subnet mask, DNS server and Default gateway and replicate them on your XBox, using the manual setup option in the XBox network settings.

You will also need to set the XBox's IP address. This should not be the same as your laptop's IP address, but very similar. For example say your laptop's IP was 192.168.1.2 then you would want to set your XBox to 192.168.1.3, for example (if you have other machines on your network make sure they don't already have the address your trying to give your XBox.

Anther pitfall to look out for that caught me was I tried to bridge the wrong network connections with my first try.

Good luck!

Will give it another go this eve and try your suggestions. Sounds feasable.

Thanks

Tom

SORTED yipeeeeeee!!!

I entered IP etc manually as per xbox.com help page (same numbers etc) BUT couldn't get through DNS test.

SO eventually after more hair pulling I tried same DNS details as my wireless router and hey presto worked Xbox LIVE ok.

BUT Xbox still can't see PC for media sharing despite running media P 11 and sharing even though it connects to LIVE ok and my PC can see Xbox ok??

Not bothered about media sharing as I won't use that feature anyway.

Thanks for your help and advice it was appreciated just got to wait for my hair to grow back now.

Tom

Yay! Glad you got it working.

I haven't tried the media sharing and probably won't bother, so can't help you there.

I do watch some (.avi) video files on my XBox (picture quality is quite impressive) but I just save then onto a USB memory stick and plug that in to the 360.

Cheers.

Recently sold my Xbox 360 wireless adapter because it wouldn't connect to my router so tried connecting to the net with my laptop and using internet connection sharing.

Was easy to set up just right click the wireless network icon in your network connections, go to properties, go to advanced (I think) and click the 1 box that says to share internet). Then I just plugged my ethernet into my Xbox 360 and bobs your uncle!

:smashin:

If only it was that easy for all!!! From what I have understood over the last couple of days it works well for some and others not and others not at all.

As I say "You loose some you loose some". Some can Say "You win some you win some"

Tom

After my first gaming session I found my connection to be rather laggy! :rolleyes:

I'm not sure if this was down to this dodgy xbox live period or just my stupid connection, but I played Forza and I had cars flying through the air smashing me off the track! Near on unplayable! I think I had 2 races from about 6 that were ok! :thumbsdow

Maybe I need to tweek some settings or something as I never lagged before when wired to my modem.

After my first gaming session I found my connection to be rather laggy! :rolleyes:

I'm not sure if this was down to this dodgy xbox live period or just my stupid connection, but I played Forza and I had cars flying through the air smashing me off the track! Near on unplayable! I think I had 2 races from about 6 that were ok! :thumbsdow

Maybe I need to tweek some settings or something as I never lagged before when wired to my modem.
Can't guarantee it will help, but you might want to try the bridging strategy rather than the ICS option, since the site I linked to earlier in this thread (HERE) suggests it is generally a better option for laptop bridging.

Good luck.

Well if your settingd were an issue I think it wouldn't work at all rather than be 'lagging'. If connected via PC could your PC have been busy at time to cause a drop in performance?

Tom

I had my laptop sitting on the floor next to my monitor when I was playing on Live last night, the computer wasn't doing anything I'd clicked off all applications.

It may have just been a one off, will find out later when I have another go on it. If it continues to be a pain I may have to get a large ethernet cable and trail it through my flat! :rolleyes::(

Will have a look at the bridging strategy though, Thanks! :smashin:

Tried using the bridge method yesterday and it didn't connect to Live, plus I had to restore my computer because for some reason I couldn't reset the network to how it was (the bridge wouldn't remove itself).

I played again last night with the internet connection sharing method and it was again pretty laggy at times, others it was fine! :confused: Not sure why it would go from bad to good consistantly over each game.

Either way I think I'm gonna have to buy an ethernet cable now otherwise I'll bng my head against a wall... Not good racing when you got cars crashing against both barriers in the space of 1 second then flying in reverse through the air at the front of your car smashing you off the track! ohhh lag, what fun!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom