connect via vga or cmponent ?

shik1

i have an xbox hd-dvd drive and my tv is 1360x768..

should i use component on 1080i or 720p
or the vga cable on 1360x768?(or whatever the closest is)

which is the best connection to watch hd films...best picture..?:thumbsup:

thanks in advance..

Inotrope

I'm using VGA into 1360x768 on a sony LCD.

It looks superb.

A little less overblown with the colour (despite the range being set to "Extended") - but this is probably more realistic.

HD DVD looks awesome.

Nanor

I think this must be down to your TV and personal preference. I used to prefer the sharpness of VGA for gaming and the vibrancy of component for film on my TV but that's all changed since the spring update.

I now exclusively use VGA as the option to alter the black levels has left me with a VGA picture which is extremely sharp and just as vibrant as component :thumbsup: I think it's down to the individual TV though, various friends I've spoken to all have different TVs and different opinions on this!

Indiana Jones

Its definitely down to the individual TV, on mine Component is terrible with horrible fuzziness in dark backgrounds, watching HD-DVD's was becoming unbearable but I fixed this by using VGA.

mossym

Distinguished Member
have a 12m cable feeding a projector onto 1 110" screen, to be honest i tried connecting the xbox deirectly through a 5 ft vga cable and also through the 12m cable which is in wall...if there was any noticeable difference it was very minor..i paid a bit extra for a decent quality 12m cable though

walshy77

Hi all....
Just wanted to ask, I have just got the 360 HD DVD drive and got it all set up..my 360 being connected to my Bravia X via component. Now, I just have one HD DVD movie, The Big Lebowski which I tried yesterday, and to be honest, the picture quality was no were near good enough. I have read reviews on the HD DVD release of TBL and it came up pretty good. Will the HD DVD send the image as true 1080i (can't get 1080p thru component) or is this merely upscaled from 576p? Would I be better of swapping my Component for VGA to get 1080p?
Any help / advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Walshy

Nanor

Got the same film and it looks great on my telly. I'm using VGA though.

shik1

Hi all....
Just wanted to ask, I have just got the 360 HD DVD drive and got it all set up..my 360 being connected to my Bravia X via component. Now, I just have one HD DVD movie, The Big Lebowski which I tried yesterday, and to be honest, the picture quality was no were near good enough. I have read reviews on the HD DVD release of TBL and it came up pretty good. Will the HD DVD send the image as true 1080i (can't get 1080p thru component) or is this merely upscaled from 576p? Would I be better of swapping my Component for VGA to get 1080p?
Any help / advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Walshy
there is a setting for 1080p thru componant.. (have you updated your 360?)you say you can't get 1080p is that because your tv doesn't support it? if not the vga wont give you 1080p..either

blisteringblue

After getting my HD DVD Player on Friday I've been "messsing" as best I can with the couple of films I bought (Fugitive & Goodfellas) and using VGA the picture looked stunning but there was a noticeable jerky/judder of the picture. It became more apparent as the film went on.

Searched the forums and found posts about it, set my output to 50hz but still judders.

Finally plugged in my Component Cable and it was gone, picture was perfect with no jerks anywhere. Colour not quite as good as the VGA but happy enough bearing in mind it's an ebay component cable that cost around 5 quid !! Might invest in a better one?

Overall I am a little miffed by this as I only have a single component input into my LCD and I still use that for my old XBOX (have the monster compenent cable set) and I still use this all the time for XBMC, so to save on constant cable swaps I'm going to have more expense getting a decent Component Switcher too (currently looking at the J.S.Tech one)

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.
Top Bottom