• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Connect TV to PC - VGA splitter?

mikemaple

Standard Member
I need to connect my tv to my pc so I can watch bbc Iplayer, dvd's etc - my new pc has integrated graphics (nvidia GeForce 9200) and so lacks a tv out socket.

What is the best way? Are VGA splitters any good? Do they weaken the signal? is there any better way?

My TV has no HDMI interface, however that is the only socket left on the back of the pc, so not sure what to do.

Would appreciate any advice! Running Windows 7, AMD athlon triple core, 3gb ram etc...

KalC

Established Member
I need to connect my tv to my pc so I can watch bbc Iplayer, dvd's etc - my new pc has integrated graphics (nvidia GeForce 9200) and so lacks a tv out socket.

What is the best way? Are VGA splitters any good? Do they weaken the signal? is there any better way?

My TV has no HDMI interface, however that is the only socket left on the back of the pc, so not sure what to do.

Would appreciate any advice! Running Windows 7, AMD athlon triple core, 3gb ram etc...
It depends on what your trying to split? A connection between HDMI to VGA wont work with just a cable, you would need some sort of converter to convert the signal from digital to analogue.

What inputs does your TV have?

mikemaple

Standard Member
Thanks for responding KalC.

My idea was to split the signal from the pc going to the monitor using a VGA splitter cable that has one male end and 2 female ends, and have one go to the monitor as usual, and one going to my tv (using a VGA to S-video adapter, connecting to the s-video cable I have going to a scart on the TV)

On my tv, there are 2 scart inputs, one coaxial input, and an audio out port that connects to my pc speakers through aux-in. Also a Yellow/red/white (composite?) cable input on the front.

On PC, there's one VGA output which is connected to my monitor, an HDMI socket, several USB's, and a load of audio sockets.

Hope this is more use! Cheers!

KalC

Established Member
No problem mate :thumbsup:

So let me get this straight:

PC>VGA(splitter)>Monitor
PC>VGA(splitter)>VGA to S-video adapter>S-video cable>S-video to SCART>TV

Theoretically it can be done. The signal quality may be questionable as effectively you're splitting an analogue signal so expect loss of quality. How bad it would actually be though im not sure, possibly some ghosting and a bit of blur. You could give it a go though and see, the cost of the cable isn't that much.

You not planning on getting a new TV soon? No? All you would then need is a HDMI cable :D

mikemaple

Standard Member
lol - not likely mate, only just spent £339 on this pc!

I think I've found a better way - a VGA switch, which if you've not seen one before, is a little box, with vga input and 2 vga output sockets on one end, and 2 buttons on the other end to switch between them - therefore no splitting of signal, just switch from one to the other when needed.

Sound better?

mdbarber

Established Member
not much detail about the monitor here but one issue to watch with a manual vga splitter/switcher is refresh rate.
running a monitor at 100hz then switching over to a tv that operates at 60hz can do some damage in a very short space of time...

mikemaple

Standard Member
Hi Maddogb,

Thanks for the tip - have just checked my monitor (flat screen 14in) refresh rate - it's 60 hz thankfully!

Today I finally set up my vga switch box and cables as described above to connect to my tv - tried it out, and the picture, though just about recognisable, was flickering, as if the V-hold on an old TV was wrongly adjusted, plus there was no colour.

The VGA - S-video adapter also has a composite video lead coming out of it as well, I tried that but got the same results.

The Monitor workes fine plugged into the Switchbox, so it can't be that - have tried switching the cables from one socket to the other, no good either.

I can only think that it's either the vga - S-video cable that's no good, or that the signal coming from the computer is no good for a TV. Tried Nvidea control panel, but there wasn't anything useful as far as I could see.

Anyone got any ideas? :confused:

st4fore

Prominent Member
I assume you sorted this, but its basically the reolution on the PC which you need to change to match the PC monitor to a resolution the TV can handle :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom