Connect TV to Logitech Z506 speakers

staley

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I'm not really into speakers and stuff and as you can see this is my first post. And I really need help, that's why I came here, of course. And sorry for my bad English as well, I hope you'll understand what I'm trying to say. I never had a speakers which cost over 20$.

And as you can see in the title, I want a set of Z506 speakers and I want them to be my main TV speakers. And still, I'm aware of that it won't produce surround sound.

I have Samsung 32D550 TV and here is the user manual for it: http://www.tv-manual.com/manuals/samsung/Samsung_LE-32D550_user_manual.pdf
And also, just in case, here is the picture of TV from behind.
GhBUuJL.jpg

Here is the subwoofer of Z506 system from behind.
z506-back.jpg

I have talked to customer service of some shop here in my country and they said to me that I can make it via RCA red+white jacks. But I think that's impossible because that's component input, not output and then speakers won't produce any sound. So, I can't count on this option, right?

Second, can I make it through via headphones jack? And will the sound be the same as it would be via RCA red+white jacks?

And, finally, the third option, as I can see, the only audio output here is optical audio out. Is there any adapter or converter that can convert digital to analog audio and what's important to me is that I can find and buy that here, though I can't count on ordering from Amazon. The thing that's important to me is that I want to get the best stereo out of these speakers via TV. And I don't know if there is any difference between regular RCA red+white jack, headphone jack connection and this, the third one.

What I also want is to connect these speakers to TV and PC at the same time, if that's possible, of course, and if I can choose whether I want speakers to produce sound from either TV or PC. But that's only a bonus, the main goal is to make all of the speakers working on TV. And I want to find the cheapest and the best way for it.

I finally collected money for speakers like this and things went a little bit wrong here. These speakers are on discount and I want to buy them becuase in my country other speakers are really expensive and I can't find others and 75W for this price is so good, if you ask me. I know there will be people who'll blame this decision, but if I were living in some other country, I'd for sure make another decision, but I can't resist this offer for these speakers. That's it, I think I gave you all needed informations and now all I got is a hope that you will help me as soon as possible. Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for answering! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Looking at your 3 options:
Option 1: Not possible since your TV does not appear to have a phono output
Option 2: Worst sound quality of all the options. Headphone outputs from TVs tend to be very poor due ot poor quality DACs and headphone amp in the TV. This form of connection should be avoided at all costs.
Option 3: This is posisble with one of these:
AV Switches/Convertors : LINDY SPDIF Digital to Analogue Stereo Audio Converter

To your other question around getting PC and TV to work together. The PC can be connected via the 3 6 Channel in input and this will give you proper surround sound. The TV could then be connected to the stereo input (via the adaptor above) and this will give sound from this. However, I do not think the Logitech system will convert this input to a pseudo surround sound so you will only get sound from the front speakers (and probably sub). If you wanted all speakers to work with TV then you can buy adaptors that convert phono to the 6 channel input but basically you get the same stereo out of all speakers and can not see this sounding that good. I think I would prefer to just have the front speakers working to be honest. However, if you use this adaptor cable then you can not plug the PC in since there is only one set of 6 channel inputs. Hence you would either need to find or make some kind of switch box or unplug and plug in each device as you use it.

Thanks for answering! :smashin:

Yeah, finally I don't count on option 1.

Can I try option 2 (Headphone jack) without buying anything additional (cables, adapters, convertors) and so on? I have read somewhere that if I hook them up via headphone jack that it will produce sound just from 2 speakers. Is that true?

Yeah, seems like option 3 is the best one, but until I collect enough money for this converter because I think I can't find something like that here. What I wanted to ask is that is sound quality and everything in this option (option 3) going to be the same as sound quality in option 1 (if I had that RCA output)? I hope that converter/adaptor doesn't change anything in matter of sound quality.

Also, I have talked to Logitech customer service and they told me that if I manage to hook up them via RCA red+white that it will produce sound from all 6 speakers. Is that possible?

I don't want adaptors that convert phono to the 6 channel input. I took a look and I saw that it's ultra expensive. It would be great if I manage to hook them up on PC via 6 channel input and on TV via that converter (though I want all of them working not just 2 in stereo). And what would be the difference between listening to stereo 2.1 music on PC (via 6 channel input) and on TV (via RCA red+white (with converter))? Would it be noticeable?

The only output on the TV I can see is the optical one.

How about picking up a old dolby digital decoder? Something like the Denon AVD-2000. Or a Harmon Kardon ADP-303 (which I'm selling) That way you'll get stereo, and for Dolby Digital all six speakers will be functioning with multi channel sound. That's if the TV passes Dolby Digital, either from broadcast TV, or when a HDMI source playing Dolby Digital.

Last edited:
I haven't considered taking a dolby digital recorder. I haven't looked at the price also, but I guess that it's expensive. I want to spend a little more (not counting the speaker system) to make this through.

Those two items should be pretty cheap, they're quite old now. The Harmon is just sitting in a box and getting to the stage taking it for recycling, no demand for dolby decoders anymore. It was ÂŁ600 when it came out.

Doubt they'll go more than ÂŁ50. Also the Denon AVD-2000 has multiple inputs and volume control.

I think I can get Digital to Analog audio converter for a really cheaper price and I think that all 6 speakers should work in that way too, though I'm not quite sure.

I don't think the speakers will output to all speakers, when a signal is stereo, not unless your speakers have some kind of DSP to them. Try for yourself, use white & red inputs. I bet only the left & right speakers will be active.

If you want multi-channel you'll need to send 5.1 signal. Also if you watch DTS audio those two units won't decode it, so you'll get silence. You'll have to stick with Dolby Digital- and that's even if your TV can bypass Dolby Digital through it. If you only have one source, could you not just connect your speakers to it?

How can I try it for myself using white and red inputs? I don't get this.

I think my TV can bypass Dolby Digital through it. I don't understand last question also, I'm sorry.

You will not be able to get dolby digital surround sound from the tv to the speakers. The convertor i linked too will only output a stereo signal. You could try the headphone socket and just need a 3.5mm to phono cable.

Use any source you have, for example a MP3 player take line or headphone out from that into the red & white inputs.

If you hear sound from all 6 speakers it does some kind of DSP. If it's just left & right, then it has none. If the subwoofer has bass as well as the left & right, the unit does some kind of filtering.

The manual does not give a lot of information but on the help section it implies that you will have all speakers in use even using just the phono inputs. However, the setup does not appear to have any decoding capability hence I suspect it will just push the same stereo sound out of all speakers which is just going to make more noise but give no surround sound effect. I think I would just prefer the front speakers and sub to be working instead of an 'all channel stereo' effect.

Personally I think it's best if you look for a decoder what about something like 390582920416

What country are you in?
Is the price of the Z506 your max budget?
Also if you want surround sound and can afford it, i think you be better off with something like a Onkyo htx 22hdx.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0047UWOOE

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I'm back with some new informations. I bought Z506 today and tried it on TV, PC and iPhone.

First of all, I tried to hook them up into headphone jack behind the TV (green jack into back of the sub and the other part into TV). Front left and front right did great job, subwoofer also. Though rear speaker and center one were quieter, seems to me. I wasn't able to get to the sound settings because everything was grayed out.

Second, I tried it on PC, also green jack into sound card (not 5.1 sound card though), and the other green part into sub. Same thing happened too. Two front speakers were clearly loud, subwoofer worked too. Rear speakers and center also produced sound, but not that loud as the front ones, but I can hear sound from them, they're just noticeable quieter than others.

I did it also with iPhone and the situation was the same. All three situations were the same (front left and right, subwoofer - worked and the other ones worked too but they were quiter).

Now, after all of this I got another couple of questions. If I get that digital to analog audio converter will it produce louder sound from the rear and center speakers? Is there any way to check that thing before actually buying a converter?

Last edited:
Not louder to the rears per se, but each speaker will be outputting the correct channel. I just realised something else, you'd have to alter the channel level to calibrate it. That 390582920416 doesn't seem to do it.

A dedicated home cinema dolby decoder will.

I can't quite understand why you bought them, you know going to have connectivity and surround sound issues.

Also strange it has green (left & right) and red & white (left & right) When using green for dedicated left & right, with red & white it uses some DSP, that's why the sub and other speakers have some sound? Don't know why you're hearing sound from other speakers when you're using the green input, it shouldn't be mixing or getting channel bleed.

I'm going to buy Asus Xonar DG for my PC in the future. That's why I bought them and ratio quality-price is great.

I don't use red+white RCA, just the green cable for all 3 cases and in every case all speakers are working, just center and rears are noticeable quieter than the front ones. Subwoofer is doing great too. I don't know why, but I'm hearing it.

Is there any way to check will it produce louder sound from rears and center without adaptor/converter? Maybe via 3.5mm Jack to 2 x RCA Phono Stereo? 3.5mm Jack to 2 x RCA Phono Stereo Audio Cable 3m Lead: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

But again, it is going to produce the sound in the same way because of the headphone jack in the TV and it will differ from the sound via converter or not?

Last edited:
If you get the digital to phono convertor I can not see the sound being any different as it will still be a stereo signal into the sub so I am sure it will do the same processing as it is now. The only way you are going to get the centre and rears sounding as they should will be when you get a 5.1 soundcard and connect it to the sub via the 6 channel inputs. Again I do not see the 3.5mm to phono cable being any better than what you have now. The only way you will get the rears and centre sounding louder will be if you get a special adaptor (I think Logitech do one) that converts a stereo output into the 6 channel input.

I'm going to buy 3.5mm to phono cable tomorrow or later today to see if it will differ from the sound I got in all 3 cases yesterday. So, 3.5mm to phono cable sound = digital to analog converter sound? (in terms of louder sound from rears and center)

How much does that Logitech adaptor cost?

So, 3.5mm to phono cable sound = digital to analog converter sound? (in terms of louder sound from rears and center)

Also 3.5mm to stereo RCA isn't digital, although there exists 3.5mm digital, Soundblaster Live had digital output over 3.5mm.

A stereo source will have a stereo output, so there is no way of getting sound to the rears or centre, unless you use some kind of splitted cable, but that means each channel will be playing the same signal.

If you want want the rears and center louder (calibrated) You'll need to use a source with variable level output on each channel. Your soundcard will, or if you buy a dolby digital decoder.

This is what you would need to convert stereo to 5.1:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Console-Adapter-Convert-Single/dp/B0006U3ACY

The digital to phono convertor will give you no different sound compared to what you already have done and I can not see the 3.5mm to phono cable giving you any different sound either.
Even if you do use the logitech convertor linked above then you still will not be able to change the levels of each speaker since you do not have the control on the Logitech sub to do this. As Stephen says you would only be able to change the levels of each speaker with the PC input.
I know these Logitech are cheap in your country but they are going to be a massive compromise when it comes to use with your TV etc. Sometimes it is better to spend more but get something that will actually do what you want and work well!!!!

When I get 3.5mm to phono, I'll tell you if I get the same sound as I did before and if something change. I'm going to buy Asus Xonar DG sound card in future for my PC. Will it work good with Z506?

I have been reading this whole thread and I have a similar issue. I have the exact same TV as the man above. It has the optical output on it. The only digital inputs on the TV are the HDMI's. I too, have the speaker system mentioned above. I got it through my community college online bookstore for 24 dollars. I bought a toslink(s-pdif) to 3.5mm cable that the Logitech manual says to get for it. I hooked it up through my TV and expected to hear angels singing and got squat. I tried to adjust audio settings and well there aren't any to tell the TV to you that output. I figured since our Xbox was hooked up hdmi that i would hear something. Nope. I even went straight to the Xbox 's optical output and got Nada. The cable has light coming out the 3.5 end so at least that is there. But I hooked it up every way i could think of and didn't result in anything making noise. I cant imagine that you have to have the analog hooked up along side the digital just to not hear 5.1. I dont get it. I have read of others doing this same thing and it working. There is either something missing there or my cable is bad ? Open to interpretation and or suggestions...

Thanks in advance,

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom