Connect tv, tivo box and ps3 to surround sound

cakesy

Standard Member
Hi, wonder if anyone can help. I have my tv with 2 hdmi ports, TiVo box, home cinema and ps3. I'm hoping to connect it all together so I get sound from the surround sound speakers for all of them. I have optical cable and hdmi switcher. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

sergiup

Distinguished Member
What kind of home cinema? What model? That'll dictate what you can do in terms of connections etc.

cakesy

Standard Member
Sorry, virgin TiVo and home cinema is Samsung ht-x30. Not sure exact tv model but is 42" Phillips. It doesn't have optical port tho.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Sorry, virgin TiVo and home cinema is Samsung ht-x30. Not sure exact tv model but is 42" Phillips. It doesn't have optical port tho.

You can't just connect your components to your TV via HDMI and then passthrough the multichannel audio if your TV lacks a digital audio output. The Samsung ht-x30 only has one optical audio input so you'll need an optical switching unit in order to connect all of your components. This is such a switch:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HQ-Optical-...I2EI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323186693&sr=8-1

Connect the PS3 and TiVo to your TV via HDMI (if HDMI inputs available?). Use the optical audio outputs of both the PS3 and the TiVo to connect them to the optical switch. Connect the optical switch to the optical audio input of the Samsung box. Note that both items are sharing the same input on the Samsung and the optical switch requires manual switching when you wish to change sources.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom