1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connect to car

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by nej, Aug 8, 2005.

1. nej

nej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi all,

I've got an Iriver H140 that I use in my current car with a cassette adaptor which gives a perfectly good sound.

However, this weekend I'm changing my car and the new one has a single-slot CD player in the dash and a CD-Changer in the glovebox.

What's the best way of connecting my beloved H140 into this lot? I presume that FM-Transmitters are a bit crap (and illegal, I know :D ) and so therefore I need to plug directly into the headunit? Does anybody know of any places selling cables that'll do it? (I don't mind taking the changer out cos I'm not going to use it) The car is a Seat Toledo if it helps at all.

Thanks,

2. MalcolmSex

MalcolmSex
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Curry's sell JVC phono to phono line out cables.

3. nej

nej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks, but I don't see how that'll help as I doubt there's a phono socket on there.

4. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,081
    Unless you can find a socket on the cd player I think you are limited to the FM transmitter options. I'm in the same situation, so I've started creating compilation CDs of my fave tunes as an alternative to using the iPod in the car. I've heard mixed reviews of the FM transmitters.

5. Hrochnick

Hrochnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    And that's probably (at least for me) becasue they have mixed performance John. I have one which at times sounds great, like listening to crystal clear radio and at others is absolutely dreadful. I think it depends on lot on where the cig power port is in the car (mine plugs in directly) and where the aerial is on the car. I've used mine on various hire cars with widely differing results.

6. ToxicUK

ToxicUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought one of these beauties,it works perfectly, no fm drift, excellent stereo separation,AND usb flash input too, bargain price 35ukp total ish
    although it is illegal in the uk ;)

http://www.merconnet.com/product_info.php?&products_id=345

7. drbober

drbober
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a Leon and had the same problem, you need one of these which will allow you to connect your mp3 instaed of the CD changer.

http://www.incardiscount.co.uk/products.asp?cat=123

The only other option is an FM transmitter which are generally poor quality.

8. nej

nej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    That looks pretty good, I can remove the changer and use the MP3 instead. £50 though!!! I'll have to hide the price of that from my wife, I think!

Thanks for the links. If anybody knows of anything similar but cheaper then please let me know.

9. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    i would try the guys here for an auxillary adapter.

http://www.icd-ltd.com

they were very helpful and delivery was prompt... paid 39 pounds for an adapter for my civic and had it fitted in 20 minutes and now have all my music in the car with none of the cd clutter :)

cheers,
    mick

10. nej

nej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks Mick, looks like what I want.

11. trs

trs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Vauxhall Zafira with a Single slot CD/RADIO (CDR500), I don't have a jack to be able to play an Ipod through the stereo, it seems my only option is to get a transmitter but they are illegal in the UK, is there any other way that I can play an Ipod using my existing stereo.