Connect to AVR or direct to TV?

iangreasby

Suspended
I have been experimenting between having my Sky Q box connected via AVR (Pioneer LX 303) or direct to TV (LG B8) using ARC. I was doing this to try and eliminate an issue with Sky Q (another story). I ended up noticing two things. First, connecting direct to TV resulted in lip sync issues. Second, connecting via AVR produced a much better sound quality, like night and day better, as well as zero lip sync. I'm at a loss to understand why there should be any difference in SQ, the sound mode was triggering the correct info on AVR display, e.g Atmos when appropriate, using both connection methods. The only thing I can think of, would connecting direct to TV utilise the AVR calibrated settings (MCACC)? If not, then this may explain why it sounds better going via AVR, which definitely does use those settings.

pjhaahl

I don't know your TV and you'd need to look up exactly what its capable of transmitting to your amp via HDMI /ARC when its coming from an external source, but there is a good chance what its sending over ARC isn't whats coming out of the SkyQ box.

In your Sky Q audio settings there should be an option to adjust the audio delay to eliminate the lip sync issues, but its not going to fix the sound quality problem.

Unless there is some reason why you need to put SKY Q direct to the TV run it through your Amp. If you need to do it that way for some reason, you'll likely be better off hooking up your TV to the Amp via an optical cable.

This might be helpful

What is Audio Return Channel (ARC)?

and you might want to look at this thread too

Sound Issues HDMI ARC OLED C8

jwsg

The audio direct from the box ought to be the same as via ARC. If you see Atmos over ARC then you havent left it as PCM which is the only erroneous TV setting possible

However I noticed I preferred Prime and Netflix audio direct from ATV to receiver than TV app via ARC - even though they are based on the same source stream - so I didnt connect my ATV via the TV.

Also I get lipsync over ARC on TV apps and devices connected to the TV but not devices connected to the receiver. Again this isnt logical as the receiver ought - in theory - to need to delay its audio to match the video processing latency of the TV (for devices connected via the receiver)

As with picture settings sometimes you have to go with what looks/sounds best.

N..B. The lipsync error over ARC on LG is video leading (audio late) so adding audio delay at source or in the receiver just makes things worse.. Optical should not be necessary for an ARC capable receiver and it doesnt support DD+ / Atmos - ARC/CEC can be got working with LG

Last edited:

iangreasby

Suspended
@jwsg I wasn't sure but it did seem that video was leading, even though I didn't think that was likely. Lip sync is one of those things that I find easy to notice, but I really struggle to correct it properly. It ends up messing with my head! :mad: Anyway, it is spot on now (touch wood....) via AVR, so I will stick with it. I had previously thought via AVR or direct to TV (using ARC) would be exactly the same, but seemingly that is not the case. I live and learn.

jwsg

Ive switched on Trumotion for apps in User with sliders left to delay the video a little which makes the lipsync just tolerable in the YouTube app which is the most noticeable.
I've got all devices connected to the receiver - none via the TV. I might even keep using the ATV 4K when the ATV app comes to the TV this year.
In the future when its time for a new TV and receiver with eARC I might try changing things.

iangreasby

Suspended
Ive switched on Trumotion for apps in User with sliders left to delay the video a little which makes the lipsync just tolerable in the YouTube app which is the most noticeable.
I've got all devices connected to the receiver - none via the TV. I might even keep using the ATV 4K when the ATV app comes to the TV this year.
In the future when its time for a new TV and receiver with eARC I might try changing things.
I tried using Apple TV box today for watching Netflix, rather than using my LG TV Netflix App. The audio did seem more in sync. The only downside was I did get the occasional frame being skipped (this was on The Irishman) on ATV. I played the same scenes back on LG TV Netflix App and Panasonic UB820 Netflix App and they ran perfectly smoothly.

jwsg

I stopped Netlfix when the price went up and havent been back since. Frame skip could either be the 24,00 fps issue or Match Framerate not being on. There's also a whole thread about Atmos issues on the Netflix app on ATV. So, overall the TV app may be better, lipsync isnt so obvious on normal content - just the talking head videos you get in Youtube.

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.
Top Bottom