Connect Sky+ to computer in another room

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by grumpypete, Jan 2, 2007.

1. grumpypete

grumpypete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am trying to advise a friend on how to view output from her Sky+ box on her computer which is located in another room.

I am suggesting that the Sky+ be connected to a 'TriStar AV sender' (from Argos) which is a set up I use myself. For those not familar with this product, it transmits, wirelessly, from scart connector to scart connector. In addition, a Sky+ remote control can be used at the 'receiving end' to control the Sky box.

However, I do not have experience of TV on PC. I am aware of various WinTV products from Hauppauge, and some from Pinnacle, but am not clear how these would connect from the scart output.

Will any of these products connect directly to the scart (or the three sockets on the receiver that the scart lead is plugged into)?
    Do I need the digital version of the product?

The lady has no use of her hands, and operates her computer by a pointer attached to her head. Therefore a keyboard click is preferred to using mouse movements and buttons.

Finally, I need an inexpensive solution, or suggestions of where else to ask.

Thanks, Peter

2. Stuzo

Stuzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Getting a scart input on the PC is a bit of a non starter, especially on a tight budget. You may be able to track down a TV or graphics card with an S-Video input, so you could then get a Scart > S-video adapter for video and then use a standard red and white phone to 3.5mm headphone jack for sound. I've never used a video sender though, so don't know about potential problems with converting the scart at one end with other formats such as S-Video.

The other more lo-tech solution would be using the RF out on the Sky+ box and inputting that into the RF-Aerial connector on a standard TV card.

Another, slightly more user friendly solution (read: simpler for non computer people) would be getting a DVD recorder to connect to the Sky+ box, recording anything you wanted to take away from the Sky+ box onto DVD and then playing that on the PC. You'd be best off asking on the appropriate thread for advice on one of these.

3. grumpypete

grumpypete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Stuzo
    It is the scart input that I was trying to address by using a Wintv or PCTV box. These are described as for analog, digital or freeview. However I have not found specific mention of scart connection. Is there another forum for TV on PC discussion. The s-vidio connection is interesting, but I was only aware of an output socket for computer to tv.
    I also forgot to say that I would prefer the USB solution.

Thanks, Peter

4. Stuzo

Stuzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Your best bet is some sort of breakout box that is designed for connecting Video Cameras to PCs for video editing - this will almost definitly not be scart though, so you will still have the issue of converting the scart to S-Video. Hauppage or Pinacle should offer somthing along these lines but I don't know of one off the top of my head - I'll have a look this evening for you if you havent found anything by then.