• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

bwfc0907

Hi
I’m thinking of getting a 4K TV Samsung UE65KS7500.
I have a Samsung Home Cinema receiver which has 3 inputs and 1 output plus 1 optical. HDMI is 1.4
Is it possible to get Sky Q & my PS4 connected for 4K and surround sound through the Samsung receiver?

D

Deleted member 39241

If your Samsung Home Cinema receiver is not 4k compatible you could connect Sky Q and the PS4 to the TV and pass the audio through to the receiver via HDMI ARC or digital audio.

bwfc0907

Thanks.

Can I use ARC for PS4 Pro and optical our for Sky Q? Can ARC and Optical In both be used at the same time?

D

Deleted member 39241

You could have them both connected at the same time, but you couldn't hear them at the same time as you would have to select one of the inputs to be currently active on the amp.

HDMI ARC should pass through to the amp any audio from the TV's tuner, internal apps, or from anything connected to its HDMI ports. Sometimes ARC is buggy, due to HDMI handshake issues. So, using an optical audio connection will achieve the same thing, no handshake issues, but an extra cable.

There are some limitations. HD audio (dolby truehd and dts hd ma) and multi channel PCM cannot be conveyed via HDMI ARC or digital audio. For those specific audio codecs you need a direct HDMI cable from source to AVR.

bwfc0907

You could have them both connected at the same time, but you couldn't hear them at the same time as you would have to select one of the inputs to be currently active on the amp.

HDMI ARC should pass through to the amp any audio from the TV's tuner, internal apps, or from anything connected to its HDMI ports. Sometimes ARC is buggy, due to HDMI handshake issues. So, using an optical audio connection will achieve the same thing, no handshake issues, but an extra cable.

There are some limitations. HD audio (dolby truehd and dts hd ma) and multi channel PCM cannot be conveyed via HDMI ARC or digital audio. For those specific audio codecs you need a direct HDMI cable from source to AVR.
My best option is ARC for Sky Q & optical out with PS4 Pro?

D

Deleted member 39241

My best option is ARC for Sky Q & optical out with PS4 Pro?
No. You can connect both the Sky Q and the PS4 Pro to the TV. Then you pass the audio from the TV to the amp. You can do this either via HDMI ARC or via digital optical. If you use HDMI ARC, and it works well, that will pass through the audio from both the PS4 and the Sky Q to the amp, depending on which one is showing on the TV.

Or, you can use digital optical to pass the sound from the TV to the amp. Whichever you choose, they will both work with both your PS4 and your Sky Q.

bwfc0907

No. You can connect both the Sky Q and the PS4 Pro to the TV. Then you pass the audio from the TV to the amp. You can do this either via HDMI ARC or via digital optical. If you use HDMI ARC, and it works well, that will pass through the audio from both the PS4 and the Sky Q to the amp, depending on which one is showing on the TV.

Or, you can use digital optical to pass the sound from the TV to the amp. Whichever you choose, they will both work with both your PS4 and your Sky Q.
Thanks for the help.

I can’t get sound out of Sky but can my PS4 over HDMI. PS4 sound is only stereo though.

Home Cinema Receiver is Samsung HT-E5550. Is this the problem, it can only pass stereo over ARC?

So if I do connect Sky Q over optical and PS4 over ARC they should both work?

D

Deleted member 39241

Thanks for the help.

I can’t get sound out of Sky but can my PS4 over HDMI. PS4 sound is only stereo though.

Home Cinema Receiver is Samsung HT-E5550. Is this the problem, it can only pass stereo over ARC?

So if I do connect Sky Q over optical and PS4 over ARC they should both work?
Have you already got the 4K TV?

How have you got the Sky Q box connected?

How have you got the PS4 connected?

Have you got ARC working between the TV and the amp - does it send through audio to the amp from its internal tuner and apps?

Have you tried an optical cable between the TV and the amp, does this send audio from the TV to the amp any differently to ARC?

bwfc0907

Have you already got the 4K TV?

How have you got the Sky Q box connected?

How have you got the PS4 connected?

Have you got ARC working between the TV and the amp - does it send through audio to the amp from its internal tuner and apps?

Have you tried an optical cable between the TV and the amp, does this send audio from the TV to the amp any differently to ARC?

TV is Panasonic TC-L55ET5B

No 4K TV yet - this is my test before buying to make sure everything works for 4K.

Sky Q connected to HDMI1 on Tv. HDMI2 ARC on TV to HDMI Out on Receiver.

PS4 Pro connected the same way as I am only connecting 1 item at a time.

I haven’t tried the TV apps as have never connected internet to it.

Not tried the optical from the TV. What would this show?

Last edited:

bwfc0907

How do the majority connect to surround sound. I can’t see them changing home cinema system. Will it be because ARC on new TVs transfer 5.1?

bwfc0907

I’ve tried Sky again but doesn’t seem to get sound through HDMI2 Arc. For some reason I get sound sound through D In when I connect Sky, I assume it’s coming through HDMI1. When I change the sky setting for HDMI Audio to Dolby I lose sound completely.

Would a Samsung 4K TV (2016) model fix this or could I still be in the same boat as trial and error?

I can’t afford both a 4K receiver and a new TV unfortunately.

D

Deleted member 39241

Ok. So, you say that you are not getting audio passed through from the Sky Box through the TV via ARC to the amp. And you are getting audio passed through from the PS4 but only in stereo. This may be a limitation of the ARC functionality on that TV, or a setting, or a handshake issue. If you try with an optical cable, you would see if that works better.

What about from the TV's internal tuner? How is audio passed through to the amp from that via ARC or optical?

D

Deleted member 39241

The audio pass through options on the new TV should work better. Most modern TV's can pass through Dolby Digital 5.1 via HDMI ARC or optical.

As an absolute contingency plan, you could connect both the Sky Box and the PS4 to the TV via HDMI for video, and then run an optical cable from them both in to your amp for audio. As your amp only has one optical audio input, you would need to add a little optical audio switch to facilitate two inputs and switch between the two as necessary.

bwfc0907

The audio pass through options on the new TV should work better. Most modern TV's can pass through Dolby Digital 5.1 via HDMI ARC or optical.

As an absolute contingency plan, you could connect both the Sky Box and the PS4 to the TV via HDMI for video, and then run an optical cable from them both in to your amp for audio. As your amp only has one optical audio input, you would need to add a little optical audio switch to facilitate two inputs and switch between the two as necessary.
I think this is an option. Is there an auto switch or do they all need a remote? Do they affect quality?

Any links?

D

Deleted member 39241

I think this is an option. Is there an auto switch or do they all need a remote? Do they affect quality?

Any links?
Digital is 1's and O's so it should work or not without affecting quality. I have never used one so would only be using Google to find links which I know you can do yourself.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom