• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Connect remotely with Snow Leopard

blue max

Distinguished Member
Ok, got to admit defeat here - thought it would be simple!

Want to connect to my mothers mac so I can help her out when she gets stuck. Both on Snow Leopard.

I have tried 'connect to server' and tapped in her IP address. No joy. Tried various permutations of user name and local network address and Nada.

I've had this done to me by support staff who are on PC's - getting through my firewall and accessing my machine without even knowing my IP address!

I have thought I would have to port forward her wireless router - but I'm not sure that is actually necessary.

Can anyone show me the steps please.

Graham

Last edited:

dbeevers

Have you tried using Team Viewer?
I use it for helping my folks out I'm on SL and they Tiger and it works a charm,
they give me the pass code and I connect, its a little slow but they're miles from an exchange and are lucky to get 2MBS.

blue max

Distinguished Member
Have you tried using Team Viewer?
I use it for helping my folks out I'm on SL and they Tiger and it works a charm,
they give me the pass code and I connect, its a little slow but they're miles from an exchange and are lucky to get 2MBS.

Thanks for that. Seems a likely candidate, but I'm still having a nagging thought that it should be simple without installing any third party solution.

Appreciate the posting and may well have to resort to that if I can't find a simpler way.

Graham

blue max

Distinguished Member
Set up screen sharing in iChat.

That seems to offer what I want once again - thanks for the suggestion.

However, I don't have any of those accounts that it requires. Not really keen on setting one up just for that and it might be awkward to talk someone else through the process (then are not too net savvy).

Fingers crossed their is a more direct way.

Thanks.
Graham

spudtator

I use Logmein https://secure.logmein.com/products/free/ to connect to both Snow Leopard and Windows clients from my Leopard PowerPC Mac. Clients need to install the software, but after that, it works great. All you need to know is the user name and password of the account you're connecting to.
It's free and easy.

D

Deleted member 27989

Ok, got to admit defeat here - thought it would be simple!

Want to connect to my mothers mac so I can help her out when she gets stuck. Both on Snow Leopard.

I have tried 'connect to server' and tapped in her IP address. No joy. Tried various permutations of user name and local network address and Nada.

I've had this done to me by support staff who are on PC's - getting through my firewall and accessing my machine without even knowing my IP address!

I have thought I would have to port forward her wireless router - but I'm not sure that is actually necessary.

Can anyone show me the steps please.

Graham
Are you trying to do this across the internet? If so any properly configured router should have those ports blocked and the safest route would be to;

I assume your mum doesn't have a fixed IP address, so setup a free dyndns account and ideally her router should support that to enter the details.

That way you can find her via a normal URL in case her IP changes.

Then port forward the relevant ports for remote support to her local IP address from the router. This list might help, Well known TCP and UDP ports used by Apple software products

I would setup a local admin account for you such that you can do stuff in your own name if need be.

Tenex

Distinguished Member
That seems to offer what I want once again - thanks for the suggestion.

However, I don't have any of those accounts that it requires. Not really keen on setting one up just for that and it might be awkward to talk someone else through the process (then are not too net savvy).

Fingers crossed their is a more direct way.

Thanks.
Graham

There isn't really, set the accounts up yourself and then talk your mother through the login? It's really the easiest method between two Macs.

blue max

Distinguished Member
I use Logmein https://secure.logmein.com/products/free/ to connect to both Snow Leopard and Windows clients from my Leopard PowerPC Mac. Clients need to install the software, but after that, it works great. All you need to know is the user name and password of the account you're connecting to.
It's free and easy.

Thanks for that suggestion. I'm slightly apprehensive about a third party being involved and it seems to suggest that you need the pro version to be able to transfer files (which seems odd unless I have misunderstood things). But I'll certainly have a close look at it.

Graham

blue max

Distinguished Member
Are you trying to do this across the internet? If so any properly configured router should have those ports blocked and the safest route would be to;

I assume your mum doesn't have a fixed IP address, so setup a free dyndns account and ideally her router should support that to enter the details.

That way you can find her via a normal URL in case her IP changes.

Then port forward the relevant ports for remote support to her local IP address from the router. This list might help, Well known TCP and UDP ports used by Apple software products

I would setup a local admin account for you such that you can do stuff in your own name if need be.

Indeed across the internet. I had hoped I wouldn't have to talk her through port forwarding. I did set up remote management on her imac, so really thought I had opened up the machine. Obviously it's on a lan, so I thought I could just go to [her ip address]/[her user name] or /[her lan ip address] and get access that way. But I don't even get as far as being asked for a password as it just fails.
I use vnc://[her ip address] which tries to gain access to her screen. I get the connection failed, then it suggests turning on screen sharing. I thought remote management did that as part of it's features.

I'm very grateful for all suggestions. I know it must be possible to connect directly without any third party add-ons as I've experienced it myself. I'm sure there must be something I'm not doing correctly when I try to access it. It makes me wonder why have the remote management tab at all if it does nothing.

Graham

D

Deleted member 27989

I'm not certain what you mean by 'obviously it is on a lan'. The thing is if you are connecting from outside her router you cannot possibly see her internal ip address, hence you will have to forward a port on the external ip a address (that of the router) in order to talk to her machine. Now it is possible that via upnp this gets opened up automatically on some routers but that all depends what router it is and how it has been setup.

Remote management is not necessarily the same as screen sharing. For example I do a lot of remote management but never see the screen, just use ssh via the terminal.

blue max

Distinguished Member
I'm not certain what you mean by 'obviously it is on a lan'. The thing is if you are connecting from outside her router you cannot possibly see her internal ip address, hence you will have to forward a port on the external ip a address (that of the router) in order to talk to her machine. Now it is possible that via upnp this gets opened up automatically on some routers but that all depends what router it is and how it has been setup.

Remote management is not necessarily the same as screen sharing. For example I do a lot of remote management but never see the screen, just use ssh via the terminal.

Thanks for the help.

She is on a wireless connection, so is on a lan, but I do know here lan ip address and her current external ip address.

She is using a basic Netgear wireless router. I think I might be better with screen sharing instead of remote management then.

I was hoping to connect via vnc://her ip address/ her lan address. Is this possible?

Graham

CamFire

Distinguished Member
I've provided some assistance to a fellow poster here on setting up a TC using ShareScreen via Skype. No voice, just chatting with text to respond to the "live" setup process.

D

Deleted member 171211

I was hoping to connect via vnc://her ip address/ her lan address. Is this possible?

Graham

Not as you have written it. As others have pointed out, you would have to set up port forwarding for the ports VNC uses from the internal IP her laptop uses to the router's external IP address, then you have to know her external IP address (which is probably not static). For that matter, is her internal IP address static? If that can change (as different devices connect and disconnect), then you'd also have to update that too. You would then point your VNC client at her external IP address.

However, every time you set up port forwarding, you are opening up potential security holes.

blue max

Distinguished Member
Not as you have written it. As others have pointed out, you would have to set up port forwarding for the ports VNC uses from the internal IP her laptop uses to the router's external IP address, then you have to know her external IP address (which is probably not static). For that matter, is her internal IP address static? If that can change (as different devices connect and disconnect), then you'd also have to update that too. You would then point your VNC client at her external IP address.

However, every time you set up port forwarding, you are opening up potential security holes.

Thanks for your thoughts. I'll talk her through fixed ip addresses and port forwarding. She has only just got a mac with a right click mouse - Wish me luck :suicide:

Graham

blue max

Distinguished Member
And the winner is...

Tenex!

Thank you all for your advice. I didn't feel capable of talking my mother through setting up port forwarding on a router I didn't even know myself.

So, iChat seemed to be just about the simplest solution. I set the accounts up and screen sharing worked perfectly. A bit slow (we are on 10mb/30mb connections), but adequate and certainly better than the 400m round trip!

Graham

blue max

Distinguished Member
What type of account is the easiest to setup ?

I'm looking to do the same as you have.

Thanks
Steve

Well, you only need a google mail account really.

Then log into ichat (using a jabber account), with your email address and password.

I have found there is plenty of info if you goole should you get stuck, although it is pretty self-explanatory.

I don't use it much - just when my old mum gets stuck (thankfully not too often so far), but having full access to the machine is a joy. You do need there user name and password (if memory serves) and they have to accept your request, so you need to trust them completely.

Give it a go!

Graham

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom