Connect ready as direct to squeezebox

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by loosend, Aug 23, 2012.

1. loosend

loosend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi guys

I have a modded SB3 (not that it matters) and was thinking about getting a Netgear Readynas Duo as it can support squeeze centre and there is a direct download on the Logitech site for it.

Now, can I plug the NAS via Ethernet direct into the SB3 and stream, rather than go through the router?

Only reason I want to do thesis my SB3 is the only source to a very expensive Hifi, soi would like to minimize the number of connections and noise that a router may create over the signal path.

Has anyone done this sort of thing?

Thanks
    Danny

2. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,644
    What noise ?
    There is none , it doesnt happen.

The best way to connect a Nas and a squeezbox is hard wired via a router.
    There is no extra noise to worry about , it doesnt affect sound quality in any way whatsoever.

Network traffic to/from any network enabled audio device does not bleed through to the rest of the system.

You say connect directly from the NAS to the Squeezbox unit ?
    Note that the Readynas Duo itself is not exactly quiet , most multi bay nas units are physically noisy due to fans and are not meant to be in the same room as your hi-fi.
    That would be a problem.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  3. loosend

loosend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Thanks for taking the time to answer :)

I'm on about electrical noise from switch mode power supplies, the Readynas will have a linear regulated psu, ssd drives, sata filters a quieter fan and fan filters all installed.

My main question really is:
    As the Readynas can be installed with squeeze centre, can it be directly plugged into the SB3 rather than through the router

THANKS

4. spinaltap

spinaltap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    My ReadyNAS is located upstairs in my home, while my Squeezebox Touch is located next to my audio system downstairs.

Both are connected via an ethernet switch, simply because I have other items that need access to my router (that is located elsewhere) via homeplugs. If I didn't have such needs, the Squeezebox could easily be directly connected to my ReadyNAS.

My ReadyNAS Duo used to sit alongside my audio system, but its low-level operating noise was sometimes distracting - particularly when playing quiet pieces, or during the evening.

The ReadyNAS NV+.v2 that replaced my Duo is much quieter, but remains in the same location as before.

5. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,644
    Electrical noise from SMPS leaking and affecting audio paths is largely a myth.
    Usually from Snakeoil sellers trying to shift some questionable piece of gear that does nothing in any case.
    Any decent unit would not let such noise out , and even if it did any decent unit would not let it in.

If your gear is high end , I guarantee you its internal circuity is pretty much bulletproof against that type of thing , even if it were a problem in the first place , which it isnt.

Yes it can , but its far far better connected to a router.
    For example , do you have an ipad ? iphone ? any kind of smartphone ?

If so you load either logitechs own controller software which is free ,
    App Store - Logitech Squeezebox Controller

or ipenq , not free but excellent ,

App Store - iPeng

and have full control over playlists , viewable album art , and all that good stuff from a single device.
    But if your direct connected and the SB server cannot be seen wirelessly , then those sophisticated control options are out.

Theres plenty of other features you would not be able to use as well , the above one would be a dealbreaker for me.

6. loosend

loosend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I didn't think about controlling the NAS, doh!
    I currently use the SB app on my iPad with my QNAP as the NAS, well looks like my initial question is redundant, can't believe that didn't cross my mind, not having a router in place.
    I have other NAS for media for all other network attached devices
    I also have a separate switch, so looks like I'll just keep everything the same as it is :)

Thanks guys :)