Connect PS3 to AMP - how?

pd33

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I had a look through the sticky posts on PS3 FAQs but couldn't see any info on how you hook a PS3 up to an amplifier for 5.1 or whatever sound?

Optical digital?

Thanks

Paul

optical or hdmi. i guess you dont have a ps3?

No, not yet, just figuring everything out so I have what I need when I get it.
I was going to use HDMI for picture, and then optical for sound - does that work?

sure does:) hdmi to the amp is better if your amp supports hdmi, of course, but yeah you'll get hte whole 5.1 DD/dts shebang with optical :)

yes mate it does

if you are connecting a ps3 directly to your plasma/lcd via hdmi and you want 5.1 sound from your amp you will need a optical cable from your ps3 to your amp
if you are connecting your ps3 via hdmi directly to your amp then you don't need an optical cable as hdmi can carry both audio and visual information

I just need to figure out if my dvd recorder currently has optical cable attached to it - I think it is either optical or coaxial digital...I think the latter so I guess I need optical cable.

Where's best place to get optical and HDMI cable.

I just need to figure out if my dvd recorder currently has optical cable attached to it - I think it is either optical or coaxial digital...I think the latter so I guess I need optical cable.

Where's best place to get optical and HDMI cable.

You can get them online cheaper but with the postal strike you may have to wait longer for them. The cheapest HDMI cables locally are probably in the big supermarkets. Other then that Woolworths do one for £10. Regards optical probably the same places or possibly Maplins.

You can get them online cheaper but with the posttal strike you may have to wait longer for them. The cheapest HDMI cables locallhy are probably in the big supermarkets. Other then that Woolworths do one for £10. Regards optical probably the same places or possibly Maplins.

Thanks!

ok what i have done is connected my ps3 directly to tv via hdmi. I then hav another hdmi cable going from the hdmi out on the amp to the hdmi in on tv. I then hav an optical cable running from the tv to the amp. Will this setup give me the required blu ray sound from the ps3? I currently notice that the same sound from the front 2 speakers is coming out the surround speakers aswell.

ok what i have done is connected my ps3 directly to tv via hdmi. I then hav another hdmi cable going from the hdmi out on the amp to the hdmi in on tv. I then hav an optical cable running from the tv to the amp. Will this setup give me the required blu ray sound from the ps3? I currently notice that the same sound from the front 2 speakers is coming out the surround speakers aswell.

I think you need to provide more info about your setup as your current setup seems a little confusing, i'm assuming you are passing sound from inbuilt digital receiver on the tv to the amp hence the optical cable.

Also from your description there does not seem any need for the HDMI from the amp to the TV unless you have other HDMI inputs going to the amp?

A little more info and we can probably help you.

Looks like you have the HDMI cables muddled up, and an optical cable that you don't need.
Run HDMI from the PS3 to the amp, and another HDMI from the amp to the telly.
Ditch the optical cable

Sorry to gatecrash this post but, I have the same dilemma...

Is there an quality advantage from running an HDMI cable for visual and a separate optical cable for audio?

Or is it just best to run one HDMI into the amp and then one of the amp to the TV?

Thanks Jon:thumbsup:

Is there an quality advantage from running an HDMI cable for visual and a separate optical cable for audio?

Not as far as I am aware...or else we'd all be doing it ;)

Why use two when one will do??? Just look at how tidy it keeps everything
:smashin:

Optical doesn't carry HD sound, so if your amp supports HDMI inputs no need at all to use optical

Hi,

Having some problems with connecting my PS3, HDTV, and Surround sound. can anyone help?

I have a PS3 (1 HDMI Port). Samsung TV (3 HDMI Ports). Samsung Home Cinema (not bluray 1080p upscalling). (1 HDMI Port)

Currently have HDMI from PS3 to TV. HDMI from Home Cinema to TV. Optical from TV to Home Cinema.

I am obviously not getting HD sound from PS3 through Home Cinema. Which is what i'm after.

Any suggestions on how to sort this out, or is this not possible as Home Cinema is not true 1080p.

Please help

Russ.

The hdmi on the home cinema is output only, ie to tv.
You need to connect the ps3 to the surround system with optical. If you want both the tv and ps3 outputting to the system and it only has one optical input then you'll need an optical 2 into 1 switch. :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom