• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Connect PS3 through new Amp or straight to TV??

jpf

Standard Member
I am setting up my new system tomorrow and just need some advice. I have a new Sony 46NX703 TV, 7.1 B&W speakers and a Pioneer VSX-920K Amp. I have also bought 2 x QED Live Optical PS3 Cable and 2 x QED Live PS3 HDMI cables.

I just need advice whether I should connect the PS3 directly upto the TV, or whether I should connect the PS3 into the Amp. Then from the Amp up into the TV.

The Amp has 4 x HDMI (1080p upscaling) inputs and 1 x HDMI output.

The chap in the shop said you should run it through the Amp, to the TV, but I was wondering if any quality would be lost doing this, would it not give a better picture going direct into the TV??

rousetafarian

I am setting up my new system tomorrow and just need some advice. I have a new Sony 46NX703 TV, 7.1 B&W speakers and a Pioneer VSX-920K Amp. I have also bought 2 x QED Live Optical PS3 Cable and 2 x QED Live PS3 HDMI cables.

I just need advice whether I should connect the PS3 directly upto the TV, or whether I should connect the PS3 into the Amp. Then from the Amp up into the TV.

The Amp has 4 x HDMI (1080p upscaling) inputs and 1 x HDMI output.

The chap in the shop said you should run it through the Amp, to the TV, but I was wondering if any quality would be lost doing this, would it not give a better picture going direct into the TV??

I would listen to the chap in the shop, the amp will be perfect.

andy1249

Distinguished Member
Over HDMI there is no such thing as a sound or picture quality scale , it will either work perfectly or not at all , ( the high price of QED HDMI cables are a waste of money , any HDMI cable will do , from the cheapest to the most expensive , they are all the same , they either work or have very obvious and unwatchable faults)

Regarding SD content , the PS3 has one of the best scalers on the market, very likely it will outperform the scaler on the amp and the scaler within your TV.

Connecting through the amp makes the most sense as you will then be able to get the benefit of all the sound formats available from both SD content and Blu ray. The new HD sound formats , DTS master and Dolby Tru HD , can only be carried over HDMI , optical cannot do those.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom