Connect pc to xbox360 via usb-usb

meath man

Established Member
Reaction score
hi guys, this may be a stupid question but i cant seem to find the answer to it!......here goes:

is is possible to connect my xbox360 to my dell laptop using a usb to usb cable......? - this cable for example:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx...doy=search&MenuName=USB LINK CABLE - PC TO PC

Can i then play all the music and supported video formats saved on my laptop through my xbox360 onto my philips crt....?

Not that will not work.....You need to use the network cable that your 360 came with. Can you not use that ?

can you explain what you mean?..... i got an ethernet cable with the xbox360, if i connect that to my laptop can i transfer music, video etc?

can you explain what you mean?..... i got an ethernet cable with the xbox360, if i connect that to my laptop can i transfer music, video etc?

You can stream from your laptop, but not sure you can transfer (i.e. copy). In other words your laptop has to remain connected for the media to be playable.

I'll leave others to describe how to configure your laptop and XBox for direct linked Ethernet (I suspect you need to use static IPs as there will be no DHCP server). I have always used an Ethernet network with an ADSL Modem/Router that also acts as a DHCP server - i.e. gives computers on the network their own addresses when they ask for them.

i connected my laptop to my xbox360 with the provided ethernet cable and it wont work! when i go to test the connection on the xbox it keeps sayng 'network adapter - disconnected' i have done everything troubleshooting tells me to do - download windows media connect, change ip address etc but nothing works, can anyone help?

i connected my laptop to my xbox360 with the provided ethernet cable and it wont work! when i go to test the connection on the xbox it keeps sayng 'network adapter - disconnected' i have done everything troubleshooting tells me to do - download windows media connect, change ip address etc but nothing works, can anyone help?

is your laptop's network enabled?

I've got a few ports on the back of my PC and they're not enabled by default, confused me for a bit. Start->control panel->network connections, then right click on the network and choose your option.

Have you chosen static IPs for both your 360 and your PC Ethernet adaptors?

Say PC IP : 192.168.0.10 XBox IP : 192.168.0.11
Mask for both 255.255.255.0

You shouldn't need to set gateway or DNS as you aren't using internet connectivity.

How does your laptop access the internet by the way? Are you running a firewall on your laptop?

AIUI the XBox says "No Network Adaptor" when it doesn't have a USB WiFi adaptor connected.

to be honest im am a complete novice when it comes to networking to say the least.
I have a wireless internet connection throughout my house using a belkin router. I use a wireless connection for my laptop. I can use an ethernet cable for connection to xbox live and that works without any hastle. I just cannot understand why i cant simply connect my laptop and xbox360 with the supplied ethernet cable.......

I keep getting this failure message: - set supplied image..

If you need more images just let me know
I appreciate the help

Attachments

• 09042007377.jpg
    09042007377.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 911
i managed to get the bridget connection set up but i still get the ''network adapter - disconnected'' message on my xbox.....- think i may give up!

I have a wireless internet connection throughout my house using a belkin router. I use a wireless connection for my laptop.

I can use an ethernet cable for connection to xbox live and that works without any hassle.

I'm guessing here that you plug the XBOX cable into your belkin router, right?

I just cannot understand why i cant simply connect my laptop and xbox360 with the supplied ethernet cable.......

I keep getting this failure message: - disconnected

Well you've proved that your laptop works, XBOX works, the cable works, the internet works, so I'm guessing the problem is with...

YOUR LAPTOP ETHERNET PORT

The "disconnected" suggests that the XBOX cannot see an electrical connection with the other end, in this case your laptop. I did post earlier about this.

You don't even need to connect your laptop to 360 via the USB or ethernet cable, as it should work already using your laptops wireless connection to the belkin router, and yoru 360's connection, via wire, to the belkin router.

You will need to be running windows media player 11.

Another thing - video playback will only work on mpeg2 or WMV movies - not AVI's (DiVX etc). The PC has probably downloaded lots of codecs to play those sort of files, but your 360 hasn't, and won't support those formats unless microsoft writes new codecs for it (see "May update" thread).

I'm still not sure why the direct cable connection isn't working for you but I suspect the laptops ethernet port. I'd get a computer-aware grown up to help you with it :devil:

somewhat condesending post whether it was intentional or not. I know a lot about computing, games etc in general but not a lot about networking. The ethernet port on the laptop is working as i have connect it to the router and it works fine for my broadband....

Is there anyway you can connect your xbox to your modem/router directly? If it works and the xbox detects a connection then you know the cable and the xbox are not faulty.

I know for the original xbox you needed to use a cross over cable to connect the xbox > pc but that may not be the same on the 360 as I have read that it is auto sensing.

somewhat condesending post whether it was intentional or not. I know a lot about computing, games etc in general but not a lot about networking. The ethernet port on the laptop is working as i have connect it to the router and it works fine for my broadband....

Didn't mean to offend, good luck getting it sorted.

If you want to stream from your 360 you need to run windows media connect or use widows media player 11, either way you need one of them running.

mark.

thanks for the help. I have connected my xbox my router directly and it works with xbox live etc. I have windows media connect running and still nothing works....:confused: , not willing to pay anything extra for a new cable etc... maybe i should just buy a 2-4gb memory stick and just connect it to the xbox that way....

You shouldn't be running Windows Media Connect if you have Windows Media Player 11 running! There is a media sharing option in WMP11 you need to turn on first, but first uninstall Windows Media Connect.

He doesn't say what OS, what version of MediaPlayer, if he has a firewall or if he's done anything in his router to allow the data to be transferred.

Plenty of posts in this forum that will provide the right info..

i have windows xp, windows media player 10 and have windows media connect allowed in my router/firewall settings......

i have windows xp, windows media player 10 and have windows media connect allowed in my router/firewall settings......

That's pretty much the setup I had... until last night - last night I took the Windows auto-update of WMP10 to WMP11 as it promised wireless streaming of video to my 360...wasn't quite that straigtforward though.

I'll try and dump my experience below, might be wothless or you might find a nugget or two of useful info.

The installation of WMP11 uninstalls the "Windows Media Connect" software that you can use in conjuntion with WMP10 to allow you to stream music and pictures to a 360... so, you can stick with "Windows Media Connect" & WMP10 which allows images and music, or you can go for the upgrade to WMP11 with the promise of images, music & video (or at least the couple of video formats mentioned above). WMP11 now has the media sharaing bit "in it" so Windows Media Connect isn't required. Apparently, if the WMP11 option doesn't work out and you uninstall it you'll just autmatically revert to WMP10...I haven't done this so can't vouch for it.

Anyway, prior to having wireless broadband I was using an ethernet cable to connect the 360 to my laptop (laptop ethernet port), the broadband connection being provided by an ADSL modem (Belkin) connected to my latop via USB. With this set up I was using WMP10+WMC to stream music and images. From what I can remember it didn't work striaght off, the 360 wasn't able to "see" my computer. I *think* (this is about a year ago so it's a bit hazy) this required allowing WMC at my firewall (ZoneAlarm) but you've already done that by the sounds of things.

Anyway, since the USB modem and ethernet cable days I've switched to Wireless router (Netgear DG834GT) & 360 wireless adapter, and last night upgraded to WMP11. I was fiddling with router ports, firewall settings etc etc last night for hours but nothing I did succeeded in getting my 360 to "see" my computer...a definite step backwards. Today, home from work, start everything up from cold and it worked first time, go figure.

So, things I was fiddling with last night which you may need to look at:
- Make sure the "file and printer" sharing is enabled on your network connection: Start-->Control Panel-->Network Connections-->"Connection"-->File and Printer Sharing ... tick!

- UPnP on my router (it was already enabled so I didn't have to do anything, but perhaps you have to enable it explicitely?).

- Make sure you have the following windows services running on your laptop to support media sharing: "UPnP Device Host". "SSDP Discovery Service", "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service", HTTP SSL. The "Windows Media.." one is the top level service with the others being dependencies which you can follow. (Should point out that these are what are required for WMP11 sharing, but I'll go out on a limb and say similar are required for the WMP10&WMC).

- Lots of troubleshooting sites (and the XBox itself) lists ports that need to be "open" in order for this media streaming to work but tinkering with ports in the laptop's and router's firewall didn't seem to make any difference...and like I say, now it's working and I haven't explitely opened any ports. They obviously need to be open for communication to happen, I'm just saying I didn't have to do anything - they were already open. (bit of a pointless point but it's getting late ;-))

- Try totally disabling you firewall (you've probably already tried this though).

Sounds like you have a few options:
(1) Your pragmatic suggestion of "maybe i should just buy a 2-4gb memory stick and just connect it to the xbox that way"
(2) Stick with WMP10&WMC, persevere with your investigations... you'll most likely crack it.
(3) Upgrade to WMP11 and *hope* it just works... not quite my experience but it got there in the end.

Regs.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom