Connect my Tag PA20R to a TT

willie garvin

Standard Member
Hi,

Having had my Tag PA20R for over 2 years now & enjoying every minute of this fantastic preamp I am now wanting to connect a TT to it.

Please could someone tell me which socket is which in relation to MM & MC cartridges. :lesson:

Being relatively new to HiFi I have looked at the user manual & I cannot see where I should connect the TT depending on cartridge type.

Apologies if it's there in the manual, if so it's Specsavers for me asap!!

Cheers,

Willie G

tim_bissell

Hi,

Good news - glasses are OK, bad news - PA20R has only line-level inputs; suitable for CD, Cassette, Tuner etc. You will need a Phono preamplifier which boosts the low-voltage signals from a record player up to line level (0-2V) and also performs some standard signal corrections. You would plug the TT into the phono preamp, and the phono preamp into a spare socket on the PPA20 (e.g. the AUX input).

TMA made one, the (rare) PPA20, and the nearest living relative is the Audiolab 8000PPA, but there is a large range of phono preamps, in size and price, to suit your needs and pocket!

-- Tim

Hi,

Having had my Tag PA20R for over 2 years now & enjoying every minute of this fantastic preamp I am now wanting to connect a TT to it.

Please could someone tell me which socket is which in relation to MM & MC cartridges. :lesson:

Being relatively new to HiFi I have looked at the user manual & I cannot see where I should connect the TT depending on cartridge type.

Apologies if it's there in the manual, if so it's Specsavers for me asap!!

Cheers,

Willie G

willie garvin

Standard Member
Hi Tim,

Thanks for this info, I was somehow convinced that the Tag could handle a TT!!

I have an old Nad 3140 amp that has facilities for connecting to a TT.

But I will also look out for a 'used' phono amp in the meantime.

Have already made an appointment at Specsavers!! :facepalm:

Cheers,

Willie G

PS, maybe look out for one of these Tag PPA20!!!

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom