Connect laptop to TV

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by rps, Feb 5, 2009.

1. rps

rps
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop. This is fitted with the standard ATI video card Radeon Xpress 1150. Having checked the ATI web site it confirms that this card supports external displays (including TV) and that there is an integrated TV encoder with on-chip DAC though simultaneous output to TV and CRT is not supported. I have bought a VGA to TV (either S-video or composite) cable and connected it and pressed <Fn><f8> to switch the display but the system reports "no monitor connected".

I actually only want to display the picture; I am not interested in sound.

I have downloaded the multiple monitors driver from ATI (version 8.31.0.0) and checked out the Catalyst (R) Control Centre.The adapter is ATI Radeon Xpress 1150 with BIOS BK-ATI VER008.0501.058.002. However, there is no option to select TV output (there is one to "force TV output" but this is greyed out).

Does anyone have any clues please how to solve this problem so that I can connect my laptop to an LCD TV through the VGA socket?

2. marian_14_jul

marian_14_jul
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you are using the vga port, the Catalyst Centre will not detect it as a TV out anyway. best would be to check the vga port first by connecting it to a proper monitor and then if that works that means your special cable (vga to s-video etc.) is not upto the job.

3. rps

rps
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The VGA port works fine connected to another monitor. According to the ATI web site the ATI Radeon Xpress 1150 video card supports TV output (see ATI Radeon™ Xpress 1100 Series for AMD Notebooks - Specifications).

When I connect the laptop to the TV (and select the correct AV input) I get a momentary flash on the TV presumably indicating that a signal is being received by the TV. However the laptop displays "no external display is attached".

So, my deduction is that a signal is being sent by the laptop, the video card is supposed to support TV output, but no TV is being detected.

Am I missing any other settings?:lease:

4. Mr Lazy

Mr Lazy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    I have a 1501 and previously connected it to my Panasonic LXD70 LCD TV which has a VGA connector. What ports does your LCD TV have? I take it that it does not have a VGA port?

5. rps

rps
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    My TV has S-video and RGB composite (plus all the usual other ports, 3xHDMI, 3xScart etc.) The VGA port is on the back and is not accessible and I am looking for a general solution for any TV as I want to be able to go to anyone's house and simply plug it into their TV. I have bought a cable that has VGA one end and either S-video or RGB composite at the other.

6. Broxi1979

Broxi1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I have a Studio 1737 and I'm connecting thru HDMI.

Is there anyway to send the audio to my amplifier ... I have a Yamaha from the old AV59 / 61 package, it does not have any HDMI ports.

I connect my PS3 and Xboxes thru optical but my laptop does not have an opt out and would sit too far away from the TV anyway.

Any ideas?

7. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +709
    Also, don't forget that just because the graphics chip is capable of delivering TV-over-VGA, it doesn't mean to say that the laptop manufacturer made the necessary connections on the motherboard to the VGA port.

TV-over-VGA is something of a bodge and is by no means a certainty, even when you have a graphics chip that supports this irregular system. It tends to be the Far Eastern makers that do this. I'd be surprised if Dell got up to such things.

Regards

Mark

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009