Connect DVD Recorder to old sky box

danobrien

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

My Dad still has an old sky box (http://www.skyeurope.tv/images/stories/shop/products/sky-box.png), he recently purchased a Panasonic DMR-EX97 Dvd recorder.
I tried hooking it up so that he can record from the sky box to the DVD HDD but no joy.
The recorder has Aerial in, RF out and HDMI out
Sky box has 2X Scart, Aerial in, RF 1/2 out coax in.

Currently I have the HDMI connected to the TV and can see the DVD menu
The old recorder was connected through scart and worked fine
I can record from local freeview using the aerial input
I'm thinking it's unlikely the RF out from the sky box will transfer the sky signal to the dvd recorder?

Thanks,
Dan

Welcome to the forum.

I'm afraid it cannot be done.
To do as you want requires a recorder with analogue inputs, and this recorder, in common with all modern recorders, has none.
Also the EX97 has only a digital tuner so is unable to receive the RF output from the skybox.

It could only be done with an older type of DVD recorder of several years vintage which used to have analogue inputs.

Overall it would be better to have the recording facility within the platform receiving device - i.e. A more modern skybox with recording facilities.

The Sky box RF output is analogue, the Panasonc has a digital tuner, so it won't "see" the Sky signal. What he has purchased is not suitable for what he wants to do. Looking at the Panasonic website none of their current products will work.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom