Connect an old Active subwoofer to a micro Stereo System

nykstee

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Can someone please advise me if the following stereo system setup is ok from the technical point of view?

I just purchased a brand new micro/mini Stereo system from Panasonic SC-PMX90 with 2 small loudspeakers and one amplifier/CDplayer.

It sounds great but it lacks the strong bass I experienced with another bigger HIFI (which I don't own it anymore), so my intention is to add an old active subwoofer bought from eBay. The subwoofer is a Canton AS80CX with a 50WRMS woofer and a high level input.

Being said that my Panasonic micro system doesn't have any subwoofer output or lineout, I found out that it is still possible to connect an active subwoofer to a receiver through the speakers level, to the high level input on subwoofer and then let the subwoofer do his thing to get the low freq signals only.

Now the problem is that the Panasonic speakers and the receiver are rated at 60W each speaker 3 ohm.

My question is, would that be a problem if the receiver and the small speakers works on 3 ohm and the active subwoofer (most likely 4 ohms or above) is connected directly to the speaker wires?

Would that be a problem for the receiver/amplifier to have the active subwoofer connected to it? I do not want to overgharge it being said that it is a small amplifier. Would it be affected or the speakers performance would be affected by the subwoofer?

I am not a technical guy so this is the reason I am asking this stuff.

Thanks,
Nick

If the sub is active then it'll only take an incoming signal from the high level connection and its amplifier will drive the woofer, not the HiFi amp - if the Panasonic has class D amplification it might damage it connecting it this way. Drop Panasonic an email and ask if it's feasible to coonect this way?

If the sub is active then it'll only take an incoming signal from the high level connection and its amplifier will drive the woofer, not the HiFi amp - if the Panasonic has class D amplification it might damage it connecting it this way. Drop Panasonic an email and ask if it's feasible to coonect this way?
That's. good idea, I'll do that.
But may I ask why a class D amplificator might be damaged?

That's. good idea, I'll do that.
But may I ask why a class D amplificator might be damaged?

REL have an article on it

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom