• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Connect an new HDMI recorder to Old Projector.

jkbmusic

Novice Member
I have owned a Panasonic PT-AE 200 E for many years. I do not wish to upgrade it as it is used infrequently. I would like to connect my Panasonic DMR-HWT 130 EB9 Hard Drive recorder to the Projector, to view recorded, and live TV programmes. Unfortunately the Hard Drive recorder only has an Optical and only one HDMI output, which currently goes to the TV, via a HDMI switcher. Anyone have any ideas how I can overcome this obstacle. The Projector has the following inputs.
80464F86-8313-4CCC-9BB1-BE9B18B38DE8.jpeg

Attachments

• 3CCD9D68-16CB-4F28-BB7C-8C1C26F32807.png
    3CCD9D68-16CB-4F28-BB7C-8C1C26F32807.png
    890.2 KB · Views: 29

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Assuming the Source is outputting a pixel clock (480p, 576p, 720p, 1080i etc) ,and frame rate (50/60Hz) the Projector supports on its 3RCA 'Component' Input you will want to mirror the HDMI signal then convert one of the HDMI Outputs to 3RCA/HD15.

How much are you willing to spend?

Joe

jkbmusic

Novice Member
I am not completely sure of your suggestion, due to my novice knowledge.

I am currently using one of the 4-way inputs on the HDMI switcher, from the HDD recorder, to the one output on the HDMI switcher, to the Television.
The other HDMI input is being used by the Blu-ray player also to the Television.

Two of the inputs on the projector are currently being used. The video input is from my Laserdisc player, and the S-video is from my Blu-ray player.

I was thinking of getting some kind of HDMI switcher with up to 4 HDMI inputs and 2 outputs. One of the outputs to be fitted with an HDMI to AV or CVBS S-Video Converter. Alternatively an all in one box, If such things are available.

As to cost, up to about £30 max if possible.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
HDMI - you can either add a 1x2 Distribution Amp (Splitter) to your 4x1 Switch or as you say replace the 4x1 with a 4x2.

HDMI conversion - RGBHV (VGA) or YUV (Component) will deliver the closest quality to the original signal, S-Video and CVBS are throwing away a lot of information/image quality.

Budget - pretty low if you are hoping to retain signal quality.

Joe

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hopefully it 'works' though converting to Composite Video (CVBS) is throwing away a lot of potential image quality you could retain if you use an HDMI to Component/RGBVH (VGA) converter instead.

Joe

jkbmusic

Novice Member
I could not get it to work on Component In. The picture was grainy and monochrome. I then tried the converted signal on the Video in, with success. Acceptable picture quality for watching a TV program when require. All sorted, thanks for the input.👍

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Composite and Component require a different converter - if you connect the 'Composite' video out from the HDMI to Composite (CVBS) converter to the Green (Sync) connector of the Component Input on the Projector you will receive a B&W image.

Good you got it working and it is acceptable.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom