• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

connect 4 pin fan to psu

avfrms5032

I bought two of these fans

Noctua NF-A14 industrialppc-3000 PWM – Case Fan (6.6 V, 14 cm, Black and Brown

from Amazon Link below

Noctua NF-A14 industrialppc-3000 PWM - Case Fan (6.6 V, 14 cm, Black and Brown: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

note the pin on the fan is female.
I do not want to connect them to the motherboard
Is this (below) what i need to connect them to a Molex from the PSU.

HDE 4-Pin Molex to 3-Pin ATX Replacement PC Computer Power Fan Cable

HDE 4-Pin Molex to 3-Pin ATX Replacement PC Computer: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Regards to all.

gbjbaanb

If you connect them to a PSU molex connector then they'll be on all the time, they won't turn off and on according to temp - as that's controlled from the PWM pins on the motherboard.

Yes, it will t work with that cable adaptor even though its extensions are for 3-pin fans, and yours are 4-pin PWM ones (normally you can plug a 4-pin fan onto a 3-pin motherboard header and the fans will work without the extra control data coming on the 4th pin, be careful for extenders with moulded sockets).

Note you can buy 1 molex to 2 or more fans and attach to the motherboard for the speedcontrol too. eg this Akasa model, that's also on amazon.

avfrms5032

Thanks that's a really concise helpful answer.
I did think about connecting them to the MB but i'd rather they just ran full speed from the PSU, it's simpler and done and dusted that way, plus i would have to get an extension anyway to run them from the MB.

I am toying with the idea of building a dust exclusive box with wood and 10 micron nylon around the PC and inside of that having a powerful home standing fan blowing onto the GPU and MB with the side door off the PC. I've used a standing fan like that before, it is mightly effective.

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom