1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Conker - Infuriating...

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by AgentCool, Aug 30, 2005.

1. AgentCool

AgentCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    I've been playing 'Conker: Live & Reloaded' recently and have once again realised why I hardly ever play games nowadays; it's just unbelievably difficult in places. Whilst I've got to chapter 6 (out of 9) I'm up to a point where it has become so shockingly tough that I nearly put my window through with the controller. I don't know if anyone is familiar with it but the lava surfing bit on the needlessly drawn-out caveman chapter is quite possibly the most difficult thing I have ever come across in a game and I've been playing for 15 years. Really it shouldn't be that difficult, I mean the course is short and can be easily remembered. However, the level is overloaded with glitches and a frame-rate that can't keep up with the speed ('Burnout'-fast). Not only that but the handling isn't exactly responsive.

It seems to me that more and more video game designers are content with making a game ludicrously difficult to extend its lifetime. I'd much prefer to play an easy game, even if it wasn't too long, over something that is the equivalent of having someone punch you in the face repeatedly. I think the last game I played that I really loved was 'Rez' some 3 or 4 years ago on the Dreamcast. Not a single Xbox game with the exception of the first 'Halo' hasn't managed to infuriate me by getting to a point of being overly difficult. I wouldn't mind but it takes a lot to get me mad.

'Conker' was a game I had very much been looking forward to but now after trying this lava surfing bit literally 30 times I doubt I'll pick it up again to finish it. The vein on my forehead is fit to burst...

2. acemelhaz

acemelhaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    i felt same too just keep at it ive done it now keep pulling right trigger to hit the bikers

3. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    Easy game = Lego Star Wars
    Really Easy Game = Ninja Gaiden :D

4. kRAyZZed

kRAyZZed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    In all honesty i wouldnt have expected anything less from RARE, they are known for their infuriatingly hard games, or games with extremely hard parts in it (particular bosses etc)

Anyway the original N64 version was rock solid too, but when ya do get it there is something quiet satisfying about knowing you beat it.

5. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,524
    you think that's difficult? I take it you never played the likes of R-Type, Project X and Smash TV back in the day then?

6. kRAyZZed

kRAyZZed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    lol well i didnt say there werent other hard games, I simply stated that RARE are known for making games that have their hard parts in them.... would be nice if you actually read what ppl wrote before you started making assumptions...

7. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Can't remember playing a difficult RARE game myself

8. Toasty

Toasty
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,214
    Its all down to time. I've played and completed difficult games in the past mainly due to the vitue of not having anything else to do at that time. However, now I have plenty of other distractions, the half hour I have to sit down and play something is seriously impeded by difficult sections of a game. The uncompleted games sitting on the shelf are mocking me as I type ;)

9. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    I haven't even started this yet, despite it sitting on my shelf for months. I'm put off by hard it's gonna be. I think I'll stick with Outrun 2 for now! :D

10. mattr

mattr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I found Conker ok up until the Lava surfing and then it just because utterly tedious and annoying. Not what playing a game is all about. I wish Rare had put out Banjo Tooie or Kazooie instead - the best platform games ever I reckon.