1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confustion regarding new Televisions. Help1

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Pugger, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Pugger

Pugger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a Phillips 32W 6332 widescreen which I bought about 4 years back. Since then I've slowly built up a home cinema setup. Basically the TV is now the weakest point and I'm looking to upgrade. First I was interested in a Plasma, then LCD came along, then I had the mis fortune of going to Dixons XL for advice. They just confused me completely.

Basically all I want is the best picture on say a 32 inch screen that £1200-1400 can buy. I like the Panasonic TV's but the sales guys in Dixons said they were over priced for the money and tried to palm me off with a LCD screen which luckily for me was showing a footie game. Both the players and the ball appeared blurred in motion. so that was out. Anyone got any advice on which TV offered best value at this range. All info will be greatfully received.

2. steeve

steeve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Pugger but you are not likely to get many replies. I've been asking about which TV to get. Seems as though it like asking how long is a piece of string......:hiya:

3. BigRD

BigRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    You could check out the Toshiba 32"36" ZP38 or the Panasonic PD30. Both display exceptional picture quality, function, connectability and within your price range.

I used the high street stores to demo the sets before buying from sources with a more realistic price.

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    As BigRD has suggested,the Toshibas and Panasonics can offer excellent picture quality,and some of the Philips are also worth a look,along with the Sony's in your price range.

I've had both Sonys and Toshibas over the years(with a Toshiba 50" RPTV now)and been pleased with the picture quality and general reliability as well.

Personally,I think the LCD screens currently are a bit overpriced for the screen size,although a lot of people like them....I also found the cheaper plasmas fairly poor,and a search here will turn up a lot of opinion on that topic(on the Plasmas section).
    Also,like BigRD,I used the high street stores for viewing before buying,eventually from our local Comet,who were helpful and efficient....a decent tip is to take a DVD you like with you,and have the salesperson hook up a DVD player to the TV's you want to look at,as the shop video feed is usually awful.

Perhaps steeve might find that,and BigRD's post useful also.

5. jspone

jspone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You may want to check out the Loewe range.

I was considering a PD30, but the faults reported in this forum put me off - and the demos in the shops didn't grab me.

I eventually went of an Aventos - about a grant from Sevenoaks.

John

6. Daftboy

Daftboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Sounds like the Dixon guy was trying to compare with a Bush or Goodmans 32" where the price is £500.00 and the quality does not compare.
    Bet he also has been instructed to sell LCD or Plasma over the CRT's.
    From what I've seen, the Tosh is the best choice, but you're better off going to someone like Sevenoaks for a Demo and then shop around for the price.

7. Pugger

Pugger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    cheers for all the responses. I did take a DVD to check out the TV's but both the plasmas and LCDS are being heavily pushed and in the end I got in a right mess. None of the screens I've seen in either format touch the Phillips TV I already own. I just wanted to make sure that normal TV's weren't about to die an untimely death. I will check out the TV's mentioned including the RPTV, although I'm worried about playing my Xbox on this type of screen. Apparently they dont recommend RPTV with Consoles.

8. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    RPTV's and plasmas,and to a similar degree,ordinary CRT's will be susceptible to "screen burn" if a static image is left on screen for a sufficient time,so it's not just RPTV's that may suffer.
    By keeping the contrast and brightness at sensible levels,and not leaving the screen unattended when playing games,the risks can be reduced.
    The warning you've been given is a general one,and applies to all of the above.

9. marah

marah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Like yourself m8 I am in the market for a new TV except my old one was a bush 28" 4:3 TV and to be honest the quality of LCD and Plasma for my budget of £2000 is just not good enough I myself have decided to go for a 36" CRT as RP doesn't suit my room layout. Thought I had one picked but have noticed a few other contenders all around £1200-£1400.

10. Rojo Habe

Rojo Habe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    They're trying really hard to push LCD at the moment. All the magazines are doing it too, but one simple fact remains: for a 32" screen, you can't currently get a better picture for your money than CRT.

I've been looking for some time now, and until recently had a shortlist of two: Panasonic TX32PD30 and Toshiba 32ZP38. Somehow I couldn't bring myself to like either of them enough to part with any cash, and now I'm looking very closely indeed at Loewe tellies, as I feel they blow the Panny and Tosh out of the water.

11. runningback

runningback
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi i own a Thomson RPTV and it has a customized setting for
    'gaming' which in effect keeps the contrast, brightness and sharpness pretty low, to minimize the risk of screenburn.
    Second point about the blur or smearing when watching fast moving action like football games.
    It depends heavily on the source of the transmission,
    Watched Champions League the other day on my RPTv
    and switched through from itv, itv2 and skysports who all had games at the same time.

itv2 was the worst with noticeable artefacts smearing and player
    legs gstting blurred when running fast.

itv1 was acceptable, little smearing noticeable can be reduced by setting to normal 100hz instead of progressive scan with line doubler.

skysports perfect picture i could not notice any blurring or smearing at all

12. Rojo Habe

Rojo Habe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You're right. Sports coverage will vary wildly. Not so much according to which channel, but more according to the individual transmission. The Outside Broadcast units have to beam the picture up to a satellite, and bandwidth is expensive, so quite often they compress the signal rather more than would be ideal. You'd be hard push to find any digital sports transmission with realistic-looking grass, for example.