Confusion

Iccz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Basically i'd spec'd up a HTPC and was about to order when I suddenly thought I will want to play games on it...

Now i'm left thinking I need to get myself a decent graphics card for this, and a different motherboard...

I want to put the audio over HDMI and I've looked about and was looking at something like this:
Asus 9500GT OC 512MB DDR3 DVI VGA HDMI HDCP PCI-E Graphics Card - Ebuyer

Now it says:

To enable HDMI audio out function, a motherboard with internal S/PDIF header and the correct connection of S/PDIF cable with graphics card and motherboard are needed.

Can anyone help me out and suggest me a good AM2 board that'll allow me to get audio + video out on hdmi and support 1066MHz memory?
Or maybe advise me on a better graphics card and mobo for my HTPC/Gaming combo?

£200 ish would be ideal for both

Will be playing the likes of WoW and Sims3, nothing too heavy.

I've been looking around and i'm well out of touch with prices and the technology.

I will be wanting to do all over the HDMI cable to my TV, both video and audio.
Any help here would be amazing.
I can answer any questions you might need to help, cheers!
:thumbsup:

The best graphics card for around £115 is HD4850 I'm not sure if it's the best option for a HTPC but it is pretty much the best value/performance card for a PC at this price.

The best graphics card for around £115 is HD4850 I'm not sure if it's the best option for a HTPC but it is pretty much the best value/performance card for a PC at this price.

Thanks, do you have any idea if you can do audio over the hdmi out on this.
A quick google says it's done via sound properties just set to ATi HDMI Out...

Anyone got any experience with this, also how godo the card is for a HTPC, i'll mostly be playing .ISO images from hdd's in the machine.

Edit: Further reading on the card it seems to have audio built in and is really easy to use, i've just never been a big fan of ATi because of the terrible drivers... anyone got any experiences here they'd like to share regarding ATi drivers + their HTPC?

Last edited:
Thanks, do you have any idea if you can do audio over the hdmi out on this.
A quick google says it's done via sound properties just set to ATi HDMI Out...

Sorry I'm OK with normal PC stuff but still learning myself when it comes to HTPC's

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom