1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confusion over Viera component connection.

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Starky, Sep 11, 2004.

1. Starky

Starky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    According to the manual (Viera still in box yet), the audio for component should be via scart on AV4C and not phono 2 to phono 2 as I read in a previous posting :thumbsdow ,the two phono connects would appear to be for audio out, home cinema? I've already buried these in the wall :blush: so I'll probably hook them up sometime. :)

2. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    It's as you've read in the manual.

The stereo phono sockets on the back of the Viera are for audio out only, e.g. to a hi-fi or surround sound system. If you want to get audio into your TV with the component signal then you have to use the audio in via AV4 SCART. Seems weird to me but not a big issue as I have a DTS/DD 5.1 surround sound system. I use the Viera audio out to the surround sound system and when I get my planned DVD/HDD recorder I will use the component in and route sound to my surround sound and not to the TV, that way I won't have to sacrifice the AV4 SCART which is currently used for the video.

S.

3. Starky

Starky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Steve, does that mean I don't have to "open the box", lol, I'll just have to be nice to the wife for a couple of days maybe get some cinema sounds. How many scarts have you connected, I was thinking of getting a switch box as I've only run up one scart, component & 2 phono and an rf, I got the dmre55 and new panny vcr (i've got a big tape collection) a telewest cable box (not digital yet) with no scart. Thanks for the info. :D

4. Andy C

Andy C
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did say in that thread the Viera used AV4 for audio! :p

You need to hook SCART1 on the DMR55 to AV4 on the Viera for audio, aswell as using a set of component leads. You could still hook the VCR socket on the Cable STB to SCART2 on the DMR55 for recording cable. The STB TV SCART would go to AV1 using RGB. The VCR could then just be hooked to AV2 on the Viera for video playback (I think you could also set AV1 to output whatever is on screen and record that on the VCR).

So, you need the component leads for the DMR55 video, plus 4 SCART leads as follows...

DMR55 AV1 <-> TV (AV4, component audio)
    DMR55 AV2 <-> STB (VCR socket)
    STB (TV) <-> TV (AV1 RGB)
    VCR <-> TV (AV2)

-Andy.

5. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    I have everything at the back bar the component hooked up.

PS2 -> AV1RGB
    ntl cable -> AV2S
    AV3 (at the front) unused most of the time but have a digicam or PC that can be hooked up as needed.
    Video -> AV4RGB
    Audio Out -> Sony SA-PSD5 5.1 surround

I plan to hook up a DVD/HDD recorder via AV4C using progressive signals at some point in the near future. I'm hoping that the AV4C and AV4RGB won't interfere with each other picture wise, I don't care about sound as all that gets routed to the 5.1 amp.

S.

6. Starky

Starky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :blush: , got it all hooked up now :thumbsup: , thanks for the info. Regards. :)