confusion over NTSC & PAL display? Help!

politevengeance

Standard Member
can someone help me with understanding this; I'm thinking of buying a particular Panasonic camera which shoots excellent HD video. However, the best deal on the camera is a US import, which outputs in NTSC. The dealer is telling me that if I have 'modern' LCD HDTV's then they will display NTSC no problem, but I want to be sure before purchasing the camera. I have two TV's - a Sony Bravia KDL-V40A12U and a Sharp Aquos LC-52x20e. I'm assuming this NTSC format is the video output for the camera direct to the TV and not a format that the actual file is recorded in as such (I'm not really clear on this as you can tell!), and that if I import the AVCHD Lite files to the PC, then I can both watch them, and create DVD's which will play on a normal DVD player anyway?

I'd appreciate some help in understanding this!
Joe

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
The files should work.
It's 99% certain that the direct camera-to-TV will work too since most EU TVs are both PAL and NTSC (or 25/30 and 50/60 frames per second) compatible.
Not the same in the USA where most of their TVs only support NTSC and 30/60 fps).
See also similar questions in the dedicated Camcorders section of these forums where related queries are common.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom