confusion over NTSC & PAL display? Help!

politevengeance

Standard Member
can someone help me with understanding this; I'm thinking of buying a particular Panasonic camera which shoots excellent HD video. However, the best deal on the camera is a US import, which outputs in NTSC. The dealer is telling me that if I have 'modern' LCD HDTV's then they will display NTSC no problem, but I want to be sure before purchasing the camera. I have two TV's - a Sony Bravia KDL-V40A12U and a Sharp Aquos LC-52x20e. I'm assuming this NTSC format is the video output for the camera direct to the TV and not a format that the actual file is recorded in as such (I'm not really clear on this as you can tell!), and that if I import the AVCHD Lite files to the PC, then I can both watch them, and create DVD's which will play on a normal DVD player anyway?

I'd appreciate some help in understanding this!
Joe

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
The files should work.
It's 99% certain that the direct camera-to-TV will work too since most EU TVs are both PAL and NTSC (or 25/30 and 50/60 frames per second) compatible.
Not the same in the USA where most of their TVs only support NTSC and 30/60 fps).
See also similar questions in the dedicated Camcorders section of these forums where related queries are common.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom