1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confusion over Direct mode (Pioneer VSX-2011)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by PEHowland, Jul 27, 2003.

Tags:
  1. PEHowland

PEHowland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stand by for what seems a dim question ... :blush:

For the past few weeks I've been watching DVD's with my new Pioneer VSX-2011 in Direct mode - assuming that this gives the optimum sound quality. However, whilst fiddling with my daughter's Harry Potter DVD this morning, it seems that in order to get the proper surround sound and also the MACC equalisation, I should have been using the Movie mode. Is this correct?!

Put simply: in Direct mode, does the system a) use the MACC settings; and b) decode to 5.1 surround using Dolby Es/Ex, etc? If not, which is the best Movie mode to select - I assume THX?

Thanks for enlightening me (as you may have guessed, I'm a home theatre newbie...) :smashin:

2. damtom1

damtom1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont have the 2011,but i think direct mode ,uses the DAC from the source(as opposed to the amps)
    So you wont be using any of the features of the 2011,to the their full potential.You will get better results listening to movies in THX mode....but i may be wrong!

3. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Direct mode is with no processing and I'm sure is not for movies, I thought it only gave a stereo signal?

You should absolutely be using a movie mode!

Do you use a digital interconnect?

Try the modes it will be different for each film. Steer clear of the Action/Sci-Fi/Musical modes though I find them a bit naff.

Stick to either
    Dolby Digital EX (or DTS ES depending on the signal)
    THX Cinema - sounds great on some movies not so good on others
    ...and my personal favourite...
    7-D Theatre - it says it's for stereo signals in the manual but sounds awesome with a 5.1 track, seems to use the 7 channels much better

Do you have 7.1 or are you using 5.1?

Oh and do you use it to watch TV? You should have it set for Pro Logic II for that (or maybe even 7-D again if it sounds good)

I'm affaid you've been wasting the talents of your Pioneer m8! Now go back and rewatch all your DVD's properly :nono: ;)

The only time direct is good is for CD's, and only then if your CD Player has a better DAC then the Pioneer, you'll need a good pair of analouge interconnects though. There are also many Music modes for Music that may also sound good.

Direct mode is only for when you want pure stereo music from your CD Player with no intervention from your Pioneer...

4. PEHowland

PEHowland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your replies!

I'm now using Movie mode for the DVDs and it sounds much better! :blush: How embarassing.

The stereo imaging from my new Kef Q7's is so much better than the 5.1 surround from my previous all-in-one Sony DVD player that I was impressed with the Pioneer even without the surround on! That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it! I'm using 5.1 mode, with the unused rear channels configured to bi-amp my front speakers.

I've already been using Dolby PLII for watching Sky Digital TV, and that's great. At least I got something right.

Regarding listening to CD's, I have an old Technics CD player connected to the Pioneer using digital optical interconnect, basically using it as a CD transport and the Pioneer to do the DAC. This works well, and actually both Direct and Stereo modes work. The difference is that Direct bypasses the signal processing (eg. Hi-Bit and Loudness) but not the DAC's. To bypass the DAC's you would need to use analogue interconnects and set the source mode on analogue (I haven't tried that). I actually find that listening in stereo mode with hi-bit sampling enabled gives a much clearer sound than using Direct mode, so this is what I tend to use.

Thanks again,

Paul