Confusion over 5.1 Sound various formats

CYPER

Standard Member
I'm helping a friend of mine to build his home cinema setup with the following hardware:

TV - Samsung LE32C650
Sound System - Onkyo HTX-22HDX + Onkyo SKS-22X
Media Player - WD TV Live
Storage - WD Elements SE 500GB USB3.0 WDBPCK5000ABK
Media: .mkv files with DTS sound. Sometimes DTS-HD

He wants to play .mkv 1080p movies on his TV, while enjoying 5.1 surround sound. I've read the manual for the TV and its built in media player supports MP3 / AC3 / LPCM / ADPCM / DTS Core.
The WD TV Live supports MP3, WAV/PCM/LPCM, WMA, AAC, FLAC, MKA, AIF/AIFF, OGG, Dolby Digital, DTS
The Sound System (Onkyo) supports Dolby® TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio™, Dolby® Digital Plus, DTS-HD High-Resolution Audio™ Decoding

So I'm very confused how everything should be connected together and also have a few questions:

1 - Will this setup play 5.1 sound from all movies?
2 - What about these new HD formats?
3 - If I use the built in media player of the TV and connect the optical out from the TV to the Onkyo directly will it play 5.1?

Please help me understand the whole setup in terms of 5.1 sound.

Thank you.

StevieBuck

The WDTV media player is capable of bitstreaming the DTS signal from the MKV files out to the sound system for decoding and playback, which will result in full 5.1 audio. I do not think it is capable of outputting the complete signal from a DTS-HD Master Audio stream however. I’m sure that when I tried this (I have a WDTV Live media player of my own), I only got standard DTS showing on my receiver. Basically, this will be the ‘core’ audio track of the HD audio signal.

I can’t say much in regards to the TV’s functionality.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom