1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confusion over 5.1 sound from DVD players

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by gab2001uk, Apr 28, 2003.

1. gab2001uk

gab2001uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I am currently researching before building a HTPC, and I am almost ready.
    One thing I am not clear about is when using a DVD-ROM to play DVD with 5.1 DTS or DD sound with a software player such as Power DVD or WinDVD.
    If I want to use an external DD 5.1 Amp/receiver, do I just connect the system:
    SPDIF connection at the back of the DVD drive->passed through the soundcard /motherboard audio SPDIF- in -> optical/co-axial digital output, ->Amp/receiver.
    For processing directly, or is it somehow extracted via software and has to be processed by the PC first, and therefore dependant on the software and sound card itself?

2. EffTee

EffTee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Your DVD player software can usually output spdif to your soundcard for passthrough to an external processor. So, yes it is the DVD software - not internal cabling required. My Audigy card has a digital out jack, which can take the feed to a coaxial in on my amp.

There's quite a lot on this in the forums if you do a search.

EffTee

3. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi,

afaik, there's no need to connect the spdif out from the DVD drive to anything - you're better off letting the pc deal with both the sound and video in IDE. You need to have a motherboard with spdif out, or as is more common, a soundcard with digital out (either optical or coax). In the software for the soundcard, you specify spdif out, in Powerdvd or whatever dvd software you're using, you specify spdif out, connec the mobo or soundcard to the digital inpiut of your receiver and bingo, you should be in business.

some searching here will bring you lots of info about soundcards....

All the best,

Sean G.

4. gab2001uk

gab2001uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Many thanks for the replies. I am going for the AOpen AX4GE MAX
    motherboard, as it has the intel 845G chipset, known to work with the Vidac VMagic MPEG Capture/TV card.
    It has on-board sound with SPDIF in/out so should work ok with external amp.