1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confusion between Toshiba LCD models

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Neat Pete, May 28, 2005.

1. Neat Pete

Neat Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was about to buy a Toshiba 32WL48P today for £1365 on the net when I came across the 32WL56 which seems almost identical for around £400 less. I phoned the the dealer but he was unclear why the 56 was cheaper. He thought it might have been the fact that is did not have a component video connection which means it cannot display the 'HD ready' logo but actually it is showing this logo on the Toshiba site.

I have compared the detailed specs of both TVs on the Toshiba site and it looks like there are some differences in the picture processing. The 48P (the expensive model) has Colour Detail Enhancer, Comb Filter, Crystaline, Super Real Transient and Super Scene Control (whatever they may be). The cheaper 56 model has none of this but does have Real Digital Picture Processing.

Oddly the cheaper model has a better contrast ratio (800:1 as opposed to 600:1)

There have been great reviews of the 48P but I cannot find a single review for the 56 model.

Does anyone know if the difference in the picture processing specs is likely to make any noticable difference?
    Is the 56 model a replacement for the 48P or are they really different qualities of set that will be sold side by side?

I would really like to save £400 but not if it means getting a set with a poor picture.

2. SIDEARM

SIDEARM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Id really like to know this too. Toshiba though have further muddied the waters as there seem to be 2 other ranges coming out in a couple of months the WL58s and the WLT58s, arrgh?!?!

3. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    I'd be amazed if the cheaper model didn't have a comb filter - I've never heard of an LCD TV that didn't.

4. dsb

dsb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the newer model should have a future proofing HDMI connector which is missing from the older model but doesnt have the component inputs - although opinion seems to be that component can be fed in via the vga socket.

5. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    This may make it a bit clearer for you - http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/shownews.php?id=7835

6. nemo

nemo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    If you mean the 32WL48 when refering to the older model you are wrong it does have an HDMI input.