1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confusion and some advice sought

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by antsplan, Oct 4, 2004.

1. antsplan

antsplan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All some much needed help required please.

Just set up my new Plasma panel (Panasonic Viera 42") yesterday.

I have a few notable problems, but first ill explain the setup in case this is my problem and I have overlooked something:

Plasma to SKY + via RGB only scart
    SKY+ to Marantz SR5200 AMP via coax cable
    Plasma to DVD via fully wired scart
    Marantz SR4300? DVD to AMP via optical cable

BTW the plasma is located in a different room to all other components so if i need to run in any other cables i will have to do so soon as the decrators are due in shortly.

Problem one - AMP keeps switching off whist watching SKY.

Problem two - how do i get a video signal from my amp to Plasma in order to access the AMP setup program ( as they are in different rooms id prefer to not have to run any more cables, except if possible to one of the other components locally, i.e. DVD or SKY to AMP Dont know if this is possible)

Problem three - previosuly as soon as i switched on my CRT TV the amp would automatically kick in, I now have to manually press the power button (think this may be related to problem two ?)

Problem four - I also ran into my Plasma an S-Video to scart cable (scart at plasma end) in order to connect my PC's video card in the future. I tested this with my DVD player last night (svideo at DVD end and scart at plasma end) and only get a distorted reddish/greenish picture which moves from left to right, audio is perfect but picture is completely unwatchable, what have I done wrong ?

If anyone could please help out with any of these problems I'd sincerely appreciate it.

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Hello antsplan

When you say the Amp switches off - do you mean actually powers down to standby or simply looses connectivity with the Digibox?

I thought SKY+ only had Optical 5:1 outputs!

Best regards

Joe

3. antsplan

antsplan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joe thx for your reply

The amp goes to standby, really really stuck with this one, someone please help.

Thx again

Ant

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    antsplan

If you cover up the IR pick up on the AV Receiver does it still switch off when viewing SKY?

You say the Plasma is in another room - are you using an IR repeater or similar to control the gear in the cupboard? If yes you could be getting lots of stray IR from the Plasma being fired into the AV cupboard!

Joe

5. antsplan

antsplan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joe

I am using a IR to RF convertor, I'll go switch it off, and let you know if the problem stops.

Thank you

Ant

6. antsplan

antsplan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Switched off the IR transmitter and receiver and the still keeps switching to standby.

Anyone any ideas, please help.

Thanks

Ant

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    antsplan

You have a PM.

Joe

8. antsplan

antsplan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joe, hallelujah..................

My problems are solved.

Sky plus upstairs: I reterminated both ends of coax and voila, it started working again.

Amp - cutting out: I ran an s-video cable from my amp to TV and manged to gain access to my amps setup prog, messed about with the settings and it now appears to be working a treat. I turned 'night mode' on and set the LFE setting to 00db from off. I do not know what either of these are but its working and im happy with that.

I sincerely appreciate your offer of help, and hope that perhaps I could return the favour one day.

Thanks again.

PS if you know what any of these settings are id appreciate you letting me know.

Anthony.