1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confusion and anger

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Sinzer, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    Grrrrrrrr, I just got back from a nice relaxing holiday in Tuscany expecting to have my new AE100 sat on my bed. It turns out that Unbeatable (never order off them ever!!!) declined my credit card for the 3rd time (they kept sending the wrong details, which I corrected 3 times!) while on holiday and cancelled the order negating my 6 week wait.

Blah blah, now to the point..........

Just before my trip to gorgeous Northern Italy (very nice place!) I sold my PS2 to my brother. The reason for this was to drum up some cash for a GC. The panny was being ordered as I wanted a projector for my room and something to play the GC on. I live in a shared house of 4 the current TV is a 6" cube in the lounge, completely inappropriate for any console.

At the moment I really do not want to go through the heartache of online ordering expensive electronic equipment (have had a real bad run of luck with PC components and parcelforce). The current idea is that I may go out and get a Phillips 28" Wide/Flatscreen for £550 for the lounge. The confusion arises over the GC, as I want a way to play it in my room as well as the lounge (the girls in my house don't like watching console games too much!).

I have a 17" monitor for my PC which would be perfect for a little bedroom joypad action. What I am confused over is that the PAL GC will not use the AV out? This means I cannot use the VGA convertor ala Lik-Sang? Is there any way I can play the GC over a monitor? Or would I have to buy an import GC, which although could be useful creates the annoyance of having to buy import games.

Or if anyone knows of either a decent AV shop within a driving (50mile radius) of Bristol, or a good console importer near there I would be grateful to have their details as I cannot find any on the net.

2. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I found Unbeatable to be outstanding. They have delivered all of my orders within 48hrs. One order I made with them arrived within 18hrs! :)

3. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

I'm not quite sure what you mean here. The PAL Cube outputs Composite (via standard N64 or other 3rd part Composite Cables) and RGB (official Nintendo Cable only) via the AV out.

I assume you're referring to the REDANT VGA box sold by Lik-Sang? This is only compatible with import machines because Nintendo changed the Pin-Outs on the PAL Cube. However, the VGA box is a poor solution at best. It is not proper VGA but composite converted.

There is however, one way you can output a true VGA signal to your PC monitor. This is via a modified Component Cable. If you're handy, you can make one up yourself. If not, there are a few HK retailers selling them now. PM me if you want more details. This solution offers true RGB HV via VGA but there is also a problem. Most PC monitors (in Europe at least) will not sync to a 15 Khz signal which is what is output by Gamecube games in interlaced mode. Therefore, this solution will only display those Gamecube games that can be output in Progressive Mode, i.e., 31 Khz. This is fine for import Gamecube owners but as you probably know, the PAL Cube does not have Progressive capability so this solution will only work for you if your monitor can accept a 15 Khz input signal. As I said though, this is highly unlikely but worth checking just to see.

Last but not least, you should be able to purchase a Composite to VGA converter from the likes of http://www.keene.co.uk or http://www.lektropacks.co.uk. I know Keene sell such a device but it's £99 :eek:. It's called a "Video to Computer Monitor Convertor" and should work in conjunction with the standard Gamecube Composite AV Out Cable as it has a Composite input and speaker out connections.

4. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    Thanks for the replies.

On the Unbeatable front this is the second order they screwed up (the first was for a SONY TV), perhaps I am just unlucky with them.

On the Gamecube side, thanks for clearing that up, I was confused over the AV out side of things. I have checked my monitor and it only accepts 30khz+ so a UK Gamecube will not be possible. The Video to PC convertors look pretty expensive and seem to be for business use really.

I think I will look at an import cube or wait for a projector again. If I leave it for a little while the stock shortage of the panny and new models may be out.