1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confusing Xbox HD info

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Malone, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Humm, I have read various threads regarding Hi Def from a PAL Xbox and find lots of posts that sometimes contradict each other.

What I would like is to keep my PAL Xbox running fine on XBL and to output Hi Def to my projector via component.

Exactly what does one need to do this. Soldering is out of the question as I am all fingers and thumbs and would end up buggering up my Xbox, Sooo what are my options.

Does anyone know the definitive answer :lease:

Matt

2. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    You can soft mod it and install the region switch patch. Get the MS High def pack and Jobs done. There are loads of threads on this for the fine detail of the soft mod etc etc etc.

Personally I just got a switchable chip installed at a computer fair and it works fine on live (I am on there virtually every day) but if you dont want to spend the £40 or just dont want the hardware solution there is the soft mod route which is reasonably easy to do.

3. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Thanks for the reply Harrisuk, as I said I have read various posts, heresone for starters. One says do this then another says no dont do that then another etc etc etc. So it can get confusing. I just want the simplest method whilst still using Live. So rather than reading posts which contradict each other I was after the simplest correct method.

Cheers :thumbsup: Matt

4. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I posted a link to a proper walk through for the Soft Mod in A HD thread ages back. Should still be around. My mate used it and it worked no problems.

Personally I couldnt be arsed and got a switchable chip. It only costs £40, far less hastle.

5. danvitale

danvitale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    I had my Xbox on XBL before I soft modded my Xbox to use Hi Def.. It still works on XBL live. All the soft mod does is switch the output mode to NTSC, something the console is designed for...

6. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Strictly speaking this is not correct. The soft mod also allows you to run unsigned software (and imports).

7. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Would you agree with this.

Matt

8. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Looks along the same lines as the guide I found and posted on here. As I said I have never done it myself but a friend has and it definately works.

Give it a go sure someone on the forums will have a copy of the game required ;)

9. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,955
    Again I just use a chip which I can switch on & off. If I want to go on live I just knock it off and i'm away! I run enigma video switcher to change from PAL to NTSC and it works a treat.

Getting it chipped is pretty cheap (about £40-£50 to be done by someone - my soldering is also pretty poor :D ). There are also solderless chips available which are much easier to fit.

10. danvitale

danvitale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Sorry, what I meant was that the Xbox console is designed to run NTSC or PAL, which ever mode is selected.