confused

dazm41

hi all like the title says,

1. im going to buy one of these in a week or two The Onkyo 605, for futre proofing this amp can play all the latest codecs , if i brought a toshiba hdxe1 which can also decode all the latest sound formats why do i need two systems that do the same thing,in the sound department, can't you just buy a cheaper amp with hdmi and let the hdxe1 do all the decoding,any help please.

UrbanT

Distinguished Member
hi all like the title says,

1. im going to buy one of these in a week or two The Onkyo 605, for futre proofing this amp can play all the latest codecs , if i brought a toshiba hdxe1 which can also decode all the latest sound formats why do i need two systems that do the same thing,in the sound department, can't you just buy a cheaper amp with hdmi and let the hdxe1 do all the decoding,any help please.

You have just answered your own question. The way sound formats work currently, your amp will not be doing the decoding, only the XE1. But you can't buy much for less than the cost of a 605 anyway so it still wouldn't be a bad purchase :)

dazm41

if i understand you correctly ,i ca buy a cheeper amp lets say the onkyoHT-R508's , and get the hd xe1, or get the 605 , umm Toshiba HD-E1 i don't any cheaper hd dvd players ,

UrbanT

Distinguished Member
if i understand you correctly ,i ca buy a cheeper amp lets say the onkyoHT-R508's , and get the hd xe1, or get the 605 , umm Toshiba HD-E1 i don't any cheaper hd dvd players ,

Not the 508, because it doesn't accept multichannel audio via HDMI even though it has 2 video inputs.

UrbanT

Distinguished Member
Although you could get the XE1 and feed the 508 via the analogue output of the player :)

dazm41

many thanks , what a mine field correct me if im wrong ,hold on im trying to get my head around this,it's easy to say what my needs are .

1. i want a region free hd player, must all so be region free for my sd dvd collection a 5.1 amp what can decode all the latest sound formats.

Majicthighs

Think you might need a seperate DVD player for your multi region SD collection. HD Players are region free, but only on the HD discs (unless I've picked this up wrong :rolleyes:)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom