1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused...

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Swizzle, Sep 30, 2005.

1. Swizzle

Swizzle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

Looking to buy a new 42" TV. I don't really know what I'm looking into.

Can anyone explain what the differences really are between Plasma and LCD? In layman's terms? From what i've researched, it seems as if Plasma is a better choice than LCD, but then when you factor in HD, which i don't understand at all, i'm still throughly confused.

I think I have it boiled down to two choices. Either the Panasonic TH42PV500, or the Pioneer PDP-436XDE.

Anyone have any opinions on those tvs?

I'd be looking for something a little bit future proof, HD ready, for general watching, home cinema (have a bose sound system) and perhaps gaming with consoles and PCs.

Any help or information would be fantastic. Thanks a lot.

2. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Both are fantastic TV's which one is considered to be better regarding PQ is still up for debate. I went for the Pv500 as I got it for a good price. You need to spend a bit of time trying them out with DVD, Freeview, Sky etc and see what you prefer.

3. Swizzle

Swizzle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good to know i'm at least on the right track.

Are they both good choices with regard to HDTV? I'm a complete newby at this kind of thing, so i may need a bit of a lesson in how it works.

What kind of difference does the pixel count make? They are both 1024x768, but again, (sorry) - i don't really know what that means.

I guess what i'm really asking is what makes HD, HD?

4. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    These 2 will both be fantastic with HD. Ive seen the demo in JL and Dixons and HD is going to be so good, especially with the Xbox360 in December.

The standard is resolution which both of these have and of course HDMI sockets, the Pioneer 436 has 2 while the Pv500 only has 1. I didnt need the 2 as the Xbox360 will only use component, then theres Sky HD which will use both (component and HDMI to begin with) If I need more in the future I can get a HDMI switcher, works the same way as a Scart switcher, I think. (Im learning aswell m8)