1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by hi2shy, Jan 5, 2005.

1. hi2shy

hi2shy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    :lease:

I have just ordered a new plasma LG RZ42PX11 and am not sure what speaker / amp combination to get. My living room is fairly large (22' x 12' approx.)

On the speaker side, I am thinking about Mordaunt Short Genie, Mission M30 or Jamo D6 PTX.

On the amp side, I am looking at Yamaha DSP AX750se, Denon 2805 or maybe the Onkyo 702.

I am also looking at this new THX Certification and was wondering if it is worth considering as I want to try and future proof as much as possible. Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi2shy

2. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    What kind of budget are you looking at?

3. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That sounds like a fairly big space - have you considered going for floorstanders or bookshelf speakers? They will fill the space much better and if music is important to you will give a much "bigger" sound.

When I was auditioning speakers I found that none of the sub/sat systems gave a big enough sound for my music - it was always lacking the midrange I wanted.

4. hi2shy

hi2shy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Tejstar - I'm not sure what budget, I was thinking around £500 for the amp and around £800 for the speakers.

Mango Bob - I have not considered floorstanding speakers. Do you have any recommendations???

I had a listen to the KEF 2005's yesterday, through the Arcam AVR300 amp and they sounded very good.

I then had a listen to the Mordaunt Short Genie's through the Denon 2805 amp and that was not as good as the KEF's / Arcam.

And finally I had a listen to the Bose Acoustimass and was not very impressed.

5. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    For a budget of £1300 you can get a very decent system. The Kef ‘eggs’ are a very good sub/sat system and have been quite dominant in the mid-priced sub/sat arena for a few years now. However, many believe that the MS Genies have taken the ‘eggs’ crown. I’ve heard both units and whilst it is difficult to differentiate them in terms of movies, I feel the Genies had the edge in terms of music giving much clearer treble. Will you be using the system for stereo use?

As Bob said though, floorstanders should give you a greater midrange (place greater importance to this if you listen to music). I have the Kef Q series system (Kef Q4’s as fronts; Kef Q6C as centre; Kef Q-compacts as rears and PSW-2500 sub) which I believe to be a very competent performer for the money (£810 from Hi Spek). They have a very good midrange, although they do lack bass (although that’s what the subwoofer is there for!)

6. hi2shy

hi2shy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I only want to use the system for watching movies as I have another setup for music. I have read the forums and it seems to be a bit close between the eggs and the genies.

Would the size of my room make a difference to getting a sub/sateliite speakers or floorstanding speakers?

I'm still stuck on the amp side - I've heard good things about the Onkyo 702 (I already have the Onkyo A8200 amp for my audio system!), Denon 2805, Yamaha 750se, 1500 or 2500 !!!

7. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    I think the sub/sat systems you mentioned shouldn’t have a problem filling a room of that size. The main reason I went for floorstanders was because I found they were better in stereo.

I have no experience of the Onkyo so can’t comment on that, but think that the Denon 2805 or Yamaha 750SE (which is what I have) would have no problems in running either the Genies or Kef eggs. I plunked for the Yamaha mainly as I had no need for the tuner (why pay extra in my opinion) and secondly thought its stereo performance was marginally better than the Denon 2805. However, your best bet is to go for a demo and let your ears decide!