Confused Yamaha 757 , 2600, 1600

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by marcm, Mar 8, 2006.

Tags:
  1. marcm

marcm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Another confused potential punter.
    I am looking for a new amp, I want to improve my stereo sound over my current set up (signature below). I will be getting either the Pioneer 506 XDE or New Panny 50" 600 when it hits the streets.
    I will be running a media pc Advent DHE 1000 as the main source although a variety of other components will be through the amp. I'm not sure whether I need the upscaling, Majority of viewing will be satellite (not HD) DVD and of course the PC. HD will not be an immediate requirement but I am trying to future proof. I will alo be adding a dedicated CD probably Cambridge Audio 640C v2.

Is there a signicant leap in sound over the 3 models above , as I appreciate the cost of the 757 is appro half of the 1600. Is there that much of a xdifference?

I appreciate comments advice , experiences thanks Marc

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I would imagine there will be some difference as the higher up models will use better componants and bigger power suplies. Also you have hdmi switching anf finally scaling.

If you can afford it the 2600 would be the best buy as it does it all, if you dont want the scaling the 1600 would be your best bet. In all cases you really should try to get some demo time on the amps.

3. marcm

marcm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I'm not sure yet about scaling, I imagine switching will be useful. Has anyone noticed the improvement / in quality of sound amongst the kit? I am trying to get demo's set up, I am moving in 3 weeks outof the country and want to take it with me, so time is short.
    The real question is there that much of a premium in sound for the 2600 / 1600 (I presume the sound is the same on these models, just difference in scaling??)

4. tfboy

tfboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +455
    Would you consider second hand?

I ask because if you're not particularly after the upscaling / HDMI gadgets / latest sound formats, you could pick up something for a real bargain. An old Yamaha A1 / A2 would IMO give you better sound in stereo than the 757, maybe even 1600 or 2600 for that matter. The latter options give you the niceties and you're paying for the technology. However, if you're not using them, and your main concerns are on sound quality, I'd put my money on a less-frills-more-sound amp :)

5. marcm

marcm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TF I did think on this originally. I'm after 5.1possibly 7.1 later. You raise an interesting point about the sound being better or close to the newer amps, which shows how much they have come on. I'm after a silver finish, if I see one come up then depending on the price, I may go for it. As is said, I have 2 weeks to go before I have to buy.

6. AVdavid

AVdavid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are thinking about going Sky HD in the future the HDMI switching and scaling of the 2600 is a real advantage, currently stand alone HDMI switchers are around £200. The 2600 has had very good reviews as well
    Dave

7. marcm

marcm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the 2600 hits all the buttons for future proofing, however I am not sure how much HD I will be using as I will be viewing in Dubai,(for 3 Years from april)with no Sky anymore. I will have regular satellite feeds, DVD and Media PC. Hence trying to find out if the 1600 is the same box, without the scaling?

8. chris.

chris.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, not quite.

Smaller caps, thinner jumper bars, slightly lower power output all means the 1600 is slightly less of an audio amp than the 2600 - have a listen and see if you can hear a difference. If scaling is not important and you hear a diference, get the better sounding amp. If you can't hear a difference, and again scaling is not important to you, get the cheaper one.

9. marcm

marcm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your help, in teh end the old addage about listen for yourself paid off.

I went in to Sevenoakss SandV and requested dems and also put some Marantz into the mix. My ears told the 4600 sounded the best and I was impressed with the Marantz CD7300 that they hooked up (after a couple of other sources first). So I took the plunge and bought both.
    :clap:
    Firs impressions are amazing, my CD arrives next week, but even using the DVD player as source for music was good. Setup was simple, will be watching a movie tonight.

Thanks again for steering me into listen first buy later, as I fear I would have probably gone for the 757 (although a good package) it just didn't compare.