Confused with Freesat

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Barbarin, Jun 12, 2019 at 10:07 AM.

1. Barbarin

Barbarin
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im about to quit Sky and wants freesat. Ive clear that getting a humax box will give me freesat using sky dish but, if I go with a motorized dish and a satellite rezeiver , am I getting freesat too or just satellite channels from other countries?

Sky has offered me a 10 pound subscription to keep his a decoder and a few channels, what would you do? keep it or buy a humax?

thanks

2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +454
    The £10 subscription is to enable recording on the Sky unit.

freesat is an Electronic Programme guide (like Sky's) that enables series records and other features.

With a generic receiver you will be able to receive the same programmes - however not the freesat EPG. You just see the current and new programme. However an EPG can be created on some receivers or downloaded via internet.

The freesat EPG is easy to use, does not include masses of programmes you can't watch, auto updates with channel changes and movements and is subscription free.

The only current recording choice is a Humax receiver - These are available from £139 (Humax direct - Refurbished) which compares with 14 months Sky sub.

The Humax would also be about £25 p.a. cheaper to run than a Sky unit. (Unless the Sky unit is run in full standby mode, when a standby boot can take up to three mins)

3. Barbarin

Barbarin
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think they include me fox and other channels...

4. TJT1

TJT1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,127
    What is 'me fox'?
    If you don't know what you will get with a satellite receiver and a motorised dish, then you need to do a lot of research before you commit.

The content displayed on the Sky and Freesat EPGs are all transmitted from a sat group located above the equator at a longitude of about 28.2E There is a mix of encrypted transmissions (mostly Sky for which you need a Sky box and card to decrypt) and a whole bunch of free to air (FTA) transmissions, a lot of which are available on the Freesat EPG.
    A lot (not all) of the other 'easy' sats that you will be able to receive with a motorised dish transmit foreign stuff with various languages and whether you will be able to receive them or not will depend on dish size and your location.

5. Vin Blanc

Vin Blanc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Freesat and a Humax Freesat PVR every time.

I dumped my original Sky set up years ago.

Vin Blanc

6. Barbarin

Barbarin
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So, if I want to record freesat I’ve to buy a 180 humax receiver. If I don’t give back sky decoder I’ve to pay a fine of more or less that amount.....
    Has sense to keep sky decoder for freesat?

7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,190
    Depends which Sky-box you have.

If it's a Sky-HD box it belongs to you. You are free to use it for viewing any of the free channels. You may be able to enable recording of the free channels by paying a freesat from sky subscription. Even the reduced subscription will make buying a freesat box very sensible. Last time I looked the charge is £10.00 every month (£120.00 pound/annum). Add in the extra energy costs say £30.00 depending on the tariff you have That's a saving of about £150.00 in the first year. Keep the box for the 2 year Humax warranty that's a saving of about £300.00. And £150,00 pound every year thereafter. My First Freesat) box (Foxsat-HDR) is now 11 yrs old and still working. Had I used a Sky-box it would, and decided I needed recording it would have cost for the 11 yrs £150.00 for the first year and another £150.00 for the next 10 yrs. That's a total of £1650.00 pounds for an investment of about £200.00.

As already said, simply pull out the smart card. If you can still view say BBC1-HD. The box is yours and you can still use it to view free content as a UK licence payer. The smart card adds a tiny number of extra channels, but without paying you can't record any of them.

There is a considerable number of channels you can view for free.

Around 479.

Astra 2E / Astra 2F / Astra 2G (28.2°E) - All transmissions - frequencies - KingOfSat

Most of these are regional repeats. A freesat box will let you watch and record all BBC regional and nation channels like the Welsh and Scottish HD and SD variants.

If you aren't hooked to Sky's own channels Like say Sky Atlantic. Financially it's a no brainer.

If you are and have broadband then a NOW-TV stick with 2 months free Entertainment pass at £15.00 from major B&M stores and £7.99/month there-after (no contract so can be cancelled at any time) makes total sense. Currently watching the brilliant Sky-Atlantic Chernobyl series on my free 2 months, The included stick includes a lot of extra apps. iplayer, Netflix etc. It's a Roku-stick effectively free

If it's a Sky-Q box the subscription includes a rental for the kit. It's not yours and as it is useless without a subscription simply send it back. It makes no sense at all to keep it.

Even with a Freesat+ box Netflix is worth considering. If you have a decent audio system most all content has excellent 5.1 audio and 1080p quality. There is a free trial. :)

8. Barbarin

Barbarin
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your answer Graham. I’ve cancel sky and still hasn’t given back sky q and can see some channels( obviously cinema ,sports... are closed)
    I’m user of Netflix and amazon prime.
    I’ve read that I’d have to change something in the sky dish to watch freesat( that’s another cost) , I’ve read it’s easy to change, but the dish is very high!!

Sky spoke with my wife giving the option to pay a minimum and keep decoder, but I had to sign another 18 months......
    I’ll have to see how much this dish work is, and if not too expensive, go for the humax....

9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,190

The change to the dish simply means the original lnb needs swapping (a 10 min job other than access). Had you told a fib and said you had other legacy kit then they would have fitted a little more expensive lnb that costs a little extra. This would have cost a liitle more (but not much).

Compatible Sky Q 6 Output HYBRID LNB 4 Sky Q Sky HD / Freesat From Same Sky Dish 5060536948622 | eBay

4WAY SKY QUAD LNB LMB MK4 ADAPTOR SKY latest model new model | eBay

If Sky-won't play ball. Complain to OFCOM on the grounds that SKY are restricting your rights to switch to a cheaper alternative service (which is illegal under the competition regulations). You might have to persist, however this is clearly a restrictive practice. Check the terms and conditions of your contract. There must be a clause allowing you to change to alternate supplier at a reasonable cost. You could even argue Sky have restricted your choice by fitting a device that locks your service to other alternative (in this case free).

Or here

Complain about anti-competive services - Google Search