Confused, Sony PS3 Slim or Sony SDP S550

lx_firth

Standard Member
Reaction score
icon7.gif

i bought a sony str-dg820 home cinema amplifier as i was told this is the best for the type of budget i was looking at, the reason i'm confused is i don't know which form of blu-ray player i should use?
I am at the moment torn between the new sony ps3 slim and the sony sdp s550.

I have also already bought a set of Jamo A102HCS5 speakers aswel

Help would be grately appreciated
Thanks from someone who is new to the scene
:):):):):thumbsup:

Good choice of amp/decoder, speakers will do you fine too I would think.

It's down to what you want really - the PS3 is a games console as well, the S550 is just a player. If you only want a disc player, I would actually recommend the Sony BDP-S360 instead (not the S350!) - I don't think you're gaining much with the S550 (which is in fact a generation older).

Then again, the PS3 is almost at a reasonable price now, and if you don't mind it being a bit noisier than a whisper-quiet player, it might be a better choice entertainment-wise.

so there wont be any problems connecting either to the amplifier?
:confused:

There shouldn't be, no - both will connect via HDMI (and you shouldn't need anything else).

icon7.gif

i bought a sony str-dg820 home cinema amplifier as i was told this is the best for the type of budget i was looking at, the reason i'm confused is i don't know which form of blu-ray player i should use?
I am at the moment torn between the new sony ps3 slim and the sony sdp s550.

I have also already bought a set of Jamo A102HCS5 speakers aswel

Help would be grately appreciated
Thanks from someone who is new to the scene
:):):):):thumbsup:

I'd get the ps3 especially with bbc iplayer on it now!

Neither of the Sony blu ray players have wireless capabilities.

The PS3 has.

If you want to use bd live and your player won't live near your internet connection then I'd go for the PS3.

Just something else to be aware of.

Is there any discernable difference in the quality of video and sound, at the minute i'm swaying towards the ps3, is the newer slimmer one any quieter?
thanks
:arty:

Is there any discernable difference in the quality of video and sound, at the minute i'm swaying towards the ps3, is the newer slimmer one any quieter?
thanks
:arty:

I went from a ps3 to the 550 and didn't really notice any difference in picture or sound quality.

I got rid of my ps3 as it was a little too noisy and ran too hot where I was keeping it.

By all accounts the ps3 slim is a lot quieter.

If I'd have had the ps3 slim instead of the old fatter model I probably wouldn't have bought the 550.

The S550 would be a waste of money considering the analogue audio connections are not needed with that amp (plus they won't connect to it anyway). I would consider S360 vs PS3. Then connect to the amp by HDMI cable and you will get all the HD audio. A second HDMI then goes to the TV.

The S550 would be a waste of money considering the analogue audio connections are not needed with that amp (plus they won't connect to it anyway). I would consider S360 vs PS3. Then connect to the amp by HDMI cable and you will get all the HD audio. A second HDMI then goes to the TV.

Good point.

I had to go for the 550 as my amp won't decode HD audio so I need my player to do that for me.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom