1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused - Sky+ Multiroom packages

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by mikearv, Oct 31, 2004.

1. mikearv

mikearv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm slighlty confused by the blurb on the Sky website.

I have a normal digibox in the lounge, I would like to replace this with Sky+ and also(at the same time) have another Sky+ box fitted in the bedroom. I would have assumed this would be "Sky+ Multiroom". But in the online shop it only allows you to order Sky+ in one room, and then they move your jackup up old box in another. Is it not possible to order two Sky+ boxes for multiroom? and why don't they offer it, is it down to bandwidth issues?

I'm also confused by this(in the online store after entering my viewing number)..

Sky+ Multiroom
    ---------------------
    Product cost: £149.00
    Standard installation: £0.00
    Other Subscription(s): £20.00 per month

I assume the £20 is £10 for the extra sub, £10 for the Sky+ sub? Which begs the question in order to get the Sky+ sub free, what exactly is classed as a "premium channel"? I have the Sky world pack, which I thought means I get everything except the pay-per-view channels. I get all the movie channels, all the sports etc etc. The £41/month gig. So where's this extra £10 come in? £41+£10+£10=£61/month to have Sky+ Multiroom, seems alot. Or do they give you a £10 discount afterwards?

thanks for any help

2. Crivens

Crivens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would imagine it is possible to get two Sky+ boxes on multiroom and have them both do 2 channels because of the quad LNB. You would have to ask Sky, but I would imagine it's just a matter of getting MultiRoom, then buying another Sky+ box from Sky and swapping your old box with it. Oh, and getting another cable from the LNB to the new box (although surely the installer would do it for a bonus?).

But the standard Sky MultiRoom deal with Sky is the re-location of your old box to another room, with Sky+ replacing your old box. I had it done yesterday with the Sky+ 160 box. Was basically £399 and thats it. And my monthly subscription goes up £10, but no more because my package includes premium channels. Mine is the same £41 effort for the standard whole shabang. So now I should pay £51.

Cheers

3. mikearv

mikearv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    forgive my ignorance but was is LNB?

4. Crivens

Crivens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just realised I don't know what it stands for, but is basically the thing that sticks out of your dish. The normal sky digital LNB has only one output, but the Sky+ one has four outputs. 2 go to the Sky+ box, and then you have 2 left. One for each multiroom, or theoretically one other Sky+. When the engineer installs Sky+ they basically install the new quad LNB to your dish and wrap another cable around your house along with the current Sky one. They then put another cable to the Multiroom box. Along with NTL etc my house is starting to look like Borghouse :)

Cheers

5. Blu Ray

Blu Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    LNB stands for 'Low Noise Block -downconvertor'. So called because it converts a whole band or 'block' of frequencies to a lower band. I believe the standard sky LNB is a twin output, and the Sky + has four as Crivens said. I do believe it's possible to get an Octo LNB with eight independent outputs, I think they're about £120.

6. billenium_uk

billenium_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok im quite confused

wanting to upgrade my sky package to the full package films sport etc.

have 2 bros and my parents at present we have a standard sky box in the living room only. really what we are wanting is the full package and sky plus in as many rooms as poss. so maximum 4 sky plus boxes and the one standard sky box? can this be done? or like someone mentioned earlier you can only add two sky+ on the website. the idea was we'd all buy our own sky+ box. not really sure if this is possible or is it only two per household? anyone any idea? :lease:

7. Broadz

Broadz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,427
    From a single dish with an octo-LNB, the most that can be supported is 8 standard boxes, four Sky+ boxes, or any combination inbetween (i.e. two Sky+ and four standard). For 4 Sky+ and one standard, you would need 9 outputs from LNBs, which would need two dishes, or one of the Sky+ boxes will have to make do with only a single LNB input (so no recording one channel while watching another). It will also cost you £40 on top of your monthly subscription (£83.50 pm), £10 for each extra box after the first one. But as far as "can it be done?", the answer is yes.

8. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    No the largest lnb they do is an octo (for domestic installations). Also I believe the maximum number of multiroom subscription cards on one account is four.

Octo = 8 outputs so maximum of 4 Sky+ boxes.

If you want more than that it is possible but you would have to approach an independant installer who does blocks of flats etc and would almost certainly need installation of a different dish and quattro lnb (non Sky types) and a multiswitch (distribution box) - equipment costs £150 to £200 plus installation plus digiboxes. You would also have to find a way of opening a new account at your address for the fifth and any other cards.