1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

confused :scalers, native resolution & 50Hz refresh, aka do I need them ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Ridcully, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Ridcully

Ridcully

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Intending to jump in to the world of plasma, probably around Christmas time with panny 8HD & Pioneer 436 being the ones I shall have a look at.

However I'm rather confused by all this talk of scalers, resolutions over the number of pixels the screens have and 50 Hz resolution.

My kit list is currently : Denon 3805, Sky+ (which will more than likely get upgraded to HD), Old Pioneed DVD player, PC with VGA and DVI card (used for downloads and possibly to replace the pioneer dvd) and a vcr.

Anyone help out on how this should connect together, most likely to the panny as its the one I have more info on at this moment and also explain the advantages of scalers and the need for native resoultions etc

Cheers

2. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
    I would say wait till you know what sources you are definitely going to have and what connections they will have, as it is at the moment you need an RGBscart->component(YUV) converter for sky going into your amp, dvd YUV into amp and even YUV out of you card into your amp, then one component cable back to the panel.

If you go SKY HD won't need a converter. Ask again nearer the time, you will have a really easy set up with only the sky and amp remote needing to be used.